VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should there be constant voltage to the fuel shut-off solenoid when the key is on? When I turn the key on, the test light flashes on and then goes out. I hear the solenoid click. This is on an AHU engine.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
When the engine is running - yes. The resting state is fuel is being cut off. When it gets 12V it raises, making a clicking noise, and lets fuel pass by.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Don't know. These cars did have a relay 109 which controls power to the ecu and effectively the solenoid. Could be a bad ground. Could be a chaffed wire. Remember that these cars are about 12 years old so they've had plenty of time for the wiring to rub through. It's also possible the test light is the one flickering due to a poor connection.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the 109 relay located? As far as the test light flickering, I had repeated the test, turning the key on and off with the light on the solenoid, 5-6 times and it was the same result each time. I'll have to try it again just to make sure I was doing it right. Thanx for the help

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Remove the large plastic panel under the steering column. You will see the relay panel. There's a relay labeled 109. The normal failure mode is stalling when normal driving, unable to start for 5-15 minutes, then it starts normally. This is due to a bad solder which fails. The newer design relay 109 is grey, the old design is black.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That is one thing that had started happening. When I would let off the throttle the engine would die. By downshifting and letting the clutch out it would restart. This was at freeway speed. Hopefully that's the problem. Is there any way of testing the relay to see if it is bad, instead of buying a new one and replacing it? I'm in WY and the closest VW dealer is 3 hrs. away and I'm assuming this isn't a stocking item at Checker/Carquest. Would NAPA carry this, there's one of those only 1 hr. away. Or I get to see my postman again.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Dealer or internet item. I doubt napa has them. Here is one site where you can buy it which shows the part number http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=350
I meant to add to the last post, that stalling is just the normal failure mode. If you see the glow plug light on this shouldn't be relay 109 since a bad relay 109 should also kill the GP light. Before you buy a new relay, first check the color of the current relay. Also, if you remove relay 109 and take it apart it you may see a bad solder. If so, this is definitely at least adding to your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys,

Don't mean to jack the thread!

Does anyone know where the fuel shut-off solenoid is on a vw 1.9D golf diesel mk3 (1996)??

I've seen a picture of what i looks like but how big is it??
thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts