VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post and my first problem with my 2001 tdi beetle that I just purchased with 135,000 miles. I have it for 10 days and I put 360 miles on it.
I just saw fuel under the car, I turned it on let it run for 5 minutes and when I shut it off the diesel started coming out from the injection system. I run for a while and stopped. It doesn't seem to leak when the engine is running.
In the picture you can see where it seems to be leaking from.
Please help.
Thank you in advance.
injector.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's the injection pump. Take a wider picture. They normally leak from the middle seal or the top seal. It's replaceable but you need a VCDS or ebay vag com to index the pump internals before replacing the middle seal. The fuel return lines also tend to leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply but I have no idea what is the VCDS or ebay vag com. Can you give me a little more info on that?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The top cover is just a cover. The middle seal is between the quantity adjuster which adjusts the quantity of fuel injected and the pump body. To replace it, first take the injection quantity reading with a VCDS. This is a cable and software to connect to your car. This is required. For a basic reading you should be able to use an vag com clone cable from ebay and shareware but it can't do all the advanced functions. For this it'll do. Here is how you take the reading:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm

Then you replace the seal and use the VCDS to reset it back to where it was before. If it's not put back then the car won't run right because the quantity of fuel injected is wrong. This is assuming that the middle seal is the one that needs replacing. Try taking some more photos of the leaking area. Here are videos showing you how to do it. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR44StvcXms

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what type of seals?

Anyone can tell me what is the part # for the seals I need?
I appreciated very much.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Exactly which seal? There are a number of seals on it. You never said if it was the QA seal or the head seal. Take another picture and show which part you need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel leak

Thank you again for your help.
I need these seal that you had in the youtube video that you send me. I am posting also a drawing with the lines showing the three seals. One is the large round maybe 2.5" diam. and the other two are the rectangular ones that go to the top of the pump.
Takis56 injection pump.jpg

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts