VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
i have a mk3 golf tdi and am having a problem getting one of the fuel injectors out.

I have managed to remove the 1st 3 injectors but the 4th (closest to the passenger side) wont budge, it will wiggle horozontally in place and will turn in place but i cannot remove it. There is literally no vertical movement from it and it doesnt feel as if its going to move anytime soon.

I need to get it out as there is water in the cylinder. If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

cheers
john

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take some PB Blaster and put a few drops around the edge. If you don't have that, some WD-40 should help. DON'T use a torch to heat it as you might heat a seized bolt.

I had to wiggle it back and forth more and more until it slowly got more and more loose. There may be a little carbon sticking it. If you rotate it, I suggest clockwise since it will avoid loosening the retaining nut on the bottom of the injector. That probably won't happen but every once in a while, it does and the injector guts spill out. Why do you have water in the cylinder? What is your overall situation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is water in the cylinder after it was taken in by the engine somehow after driving through some flood water. Water has been found in the other 3 cylinders so it is likely it is in the last, the engine will turn over but it makes a rather unhappy sound when doing so, when i did turn the engine over water was flushed from the 1st 3 cylinders, however i do not want to turn it over agian till the 4th injector is out trying to avoid and further damage.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ouch, 2nd not taking a torch to it. Sorry to hear but you probably have engine damage. A diesel is high compression and the pistons are almost touching the cylinder head. It doesn't take much water to cause hydrolock and bend rods.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Sorry, the engine has hydrolock, that's when the engine tries to compress water. 19:1 compression + water = damage. Since water can't be compressed by the engine, the engine rods normally get bent. Since you hear unhappy sounds, the engine definitely has engine damage. The engine is in the last.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luck of the devil???

well i got the injector out and flushed the cylinders, replaced everything with great care, crossed my fingers and nothing after jump starting it off my mates landrover result it starts and whats more with no apparent sounds or signs of engine damage, it turns out the nasty noise was the starter motor which now seems to be fines as well, fluke or luck of the devil??

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Great news! 2nd a compression check will tell you if there was any real damage. The unhappy noise was probably a damaged starter after being soaked in water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts