VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 jetta brm the fuel filter was changed about 8k miles ago and I just noticed last night that it is leaking fuel where the lid of the canister and the canister meet. Does this mean it's not tight enough or to tight?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
the lid just needs to be snug. design of the seal relies upon the difference in diameter between the can and the lid, not how tight it is, (assuming it is on far enough)

there should not be any gap between the lid and can.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
As Mikeme says. It's not a gasket but a large "O" Ring. A new one comes with the filter.

If tightening doesn't work it's possible a bit of dirt trapped between the flanges on the lid and bowl or round the seal

·
Premium Member
2006 VW Jetta TDI
38 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have exactly the same problem. Brm wide mouth filter with Olympic blue orings. Filter changed 7000 mi ago. Fuel started spraying straight forward from under the cap. Screws were all tight. Took cap off fiddled with big green oring. Put back and stopped leaking. Two days later same thing. Take off cap, put it back on. Start it, stops leaking until you shut it off then on startup it spews out again. Got new filter but for quick change just changed orings. Lasted probably 200 mi. with 5 or 6 start-ups. Now leaking again. Any ideas? Screws all tight. Anything else that would cause too much pressure in housing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts