VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there, first post.

I recently (The last few months) have been driving and loving my Jetta TDI and am looking into doing as much of my own maintenance as possible. I've done one oil chance since getting the car (37000ish miles) at about 42,000 miles. I'm now pushing 56,000 miles and want to do the fuel filter. I've read as much as I could about how to do it, and have seen people mentioning using VCDS, and not using VCDS, or using OBDeleven. My issue here is that I just need a tool that will allow me to do the basic maintenance for the car that won't cost me a fortune. I want to weigh my options, as currently a VCDS cable costs 200$ and to be frank im not sure if it's even the right one considering it's the cheapest option and there are multiple options on the website. As for OBDeleven, I've seen a lot of differing opinions on the software and if I even wanted to get one of either, it'd be a wait.

Going forward, would it be worth my time and investment to get a VCDS cable, or get the cheaper option of OBDeleven? Or even the bluedriver OBD sensor, but I have high doubts it'd allow me to cycle the fuel pumps.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
VCDS is well worth it in the long run, don't bother with cheap OBD scanners etc.
I have it but it's not required when changing the fuel filter on PD engines - you can just cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times (after changing the filter) to charge/refill the system before starting the engine.
You should add your car specs in your profile/signature, with engine code, so you get the correct/relevant information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VCDS is well worth it in the long run, don't bother with cheap OBD scanners etc.
I have it but it's not required when changing the fuel filter on PD engines - you can just cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times (after changing the filter) to charge/refill the system before starting the engine.
You should add your car specs in your profile/signature, with engine code, so you get the correct/relevant information.
My apologies. I thought I had entered that information, and trying to do so in mobile isn't working at the moment. When I have time at home I will for sure update it.

My vehicle is a 2013 Jetta TDI, so it's in the updated common rail vehicles where the pumps don't cycle on ignition. So that was my reasoning for creating this thread in hopes to possibly find some information. I mainly ask because with current situations, 200$ would for sure not be a good idea at the moment. So for short term, would it be advisable to do the fuel filter without vcds/OBDEleven (further research yielded that it does allow long coding and access to cycling pumps) or should I wait until I get the money and risk the extra mileage on the filter which I have no idea if it's still the original. I live in the USA and I know our diesel is not the best.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Apologies, I now see your signature/model.
If you can cycle the pumps then why not do the job?!
There are various forums, TDiClub probably being the biggest in USA, that list members who have VCDS and can help out with things like this.
As for the replacement, Hengst make the best filters if you can source them, don't cheap out on fuel filters, get the best quality you can.
Hope you get it sorted.

·
Super Moderator
9,458 Posts
Hey there, first post.
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You need to use VCDS.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have both VCDS and OBDEleven Pro. I rarely use my VCDS because for most day to day chores I find the OBDE works great. Their support is rather weak but most basic tasks are fairly simply accomplished if you're handy Internet searching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts