VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was reading up on MY TURBO DIESEL forums on how to replace the fuel filter on the new CR engines. Its pretty much straight forward and I pretty much figured it all out. Except where it notes how to prime the fuel system without VAG-COM. In dweisel's notes he mentions to run the fuel sender and aux pump together. The only thing is, I don't know where the aux pump is??? Could someone help shed some light on my situation or give some good pointers. The last thing I want is the mechanical pump to pick up air pockets while uselessly trying to start it!

Thanks
Nick M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was replied though my e-mail not to long ago by chittychittybangbang. He stated the the aux pump is near the TB cover... Sorry for being such a noob, but im still lost. Tb is short for? If worst comes to worst I guess I can follow the fuel lines intill I come across another pump. :thumbsup

Thanks again
Nick M

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I have added these pics to the writeup for 2009+ TDI http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2009-2010-VW-TDI-fuel-filter.htm to help explain this and point it out. One of the pics is with the headlight removed for illustration. You should be able to remove that bolt holding the pump in place and lift it up a little to get better access. If you do this and have found this site helpful, can you provide a better pic with that bolt removed, showing the contacts? Something that you can see from the top vs. w/headlight removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and THANK YOU. This helps alot. I'm all about DIY and this site helps alot!

Nick M

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nick. welcometomyturbodies

I think there are two fuel pumps, I was testing some features on VCDS a while back and you can operate virtually any ecu controls electrical item. I operated the fuel pump and I heard one in the rear operate then I operated the one under the bonnet. I'm not sure but I think the one under the bonnet pumps fuel back to the tank?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The one under the bonnet indicated in my last post is downstream of the fuel filter and upstream of the HPFP. It brings fuel pressure from around 5 psi at the fuel filter to around 73 psi.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting, why would they not run the pump when you turn the car on? Why wait until the engine starts? There must be some good reason?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Interesting, why would they not run the pump when you turn the car on? Why wait until the engine starts? There must be some good reason?
because the fuel rail is aready highly pressurized

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
offtopic2

golfTDI1

Car: '10 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr (sunrf, BT, Dynaudio, cold wthr pkg, Blue Graphite Metallic), purch. new 8/10 - approx 17000 miles now
Mods: Eswitch rmt op/clse fog DRL heat seat mem 9w7 auto hatch door warn & rear ftwell lts, DG shift kit

I think some of your spec would look a bit better in your signature at the moment its displaying wider that the thread?

Just leave '10 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr in your car spec thats big enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts