VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Fuel Filter and Thermo T O-rings

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  markd89 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I read the faq on changing the fuel filter and thermo T. The FAQ mentions two O-rings which should be on the Thermo-T.

Here's an image of what I have:

I have only one large O-ring on the "outside" of the fuel filter. There are no small O-rings on the Thermo-T. I'm thinking either the FAQ shows older parts which no longer apply or I'm missing pieces?

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
It can depend on the supplier of the filter, some come with all the seals etc and some don't, if the seal looks ok then it will probably be fine otherwise you can either take it back and get another one that comes with the seals or find a parts store that has o rings, they usually come in big trays of all sizes and some garages carry them too.:)

#4 ·
There should be at least one on the filter housing though like in the pic, there must be something to seal the old one, I would just re-use it personally, I think it'll work fine for now. I've re-used them myself without any problems, it was just on older diesels that had the copper washers for fitting the banjo unions to the filter head that I ever had any bother with.:)

#5 ·
Are you trying to use a filter (plus thermostatic "T" valve) from a Mk-IV (Golf/Jetta/New Beetle) in your converted car, rather than a filter designed for the 1997 Passat that's in your profile? If yes, then you need to get the "O" rings from the dealer (or one of the online suppliers)... p/n 1J0 198 247. Some makes of filters come with them in the box, others do not...

Yuri

#6 ·
Are you trying to use a filter (plus thermostatic "T" valve) from a Mk-IV (Golf/Jetta/New Beetle) in your converted car, rather than a filter designed for the 1997 Passat that's in your profile? If yes, then you need to get the "O" rings from the dealer (or one of the online suppliers)... p/n 1J0 198 247. Some makes of filters come with them in the box, others do not...

Yuri
I'm using the Thermo T for the 97 Passat 191 127 247 A and the right filter Meyle# 100 127 0004 which cross-references with VW# 1H0 127 401C (per http://www.germanfilters.com/xref2_search_result.php?mann_search=WK+842/4)

Looking at the ETKA, I'm only seeing one O-ring. So I think I may have answered my own question -- that I do have the right parts. Maybe I'm just misreading something in the FAQ where it points to two..

Thanks,

Mark

#7 ·
Looking at the ETKA, I'm only seeing one O-ring. So I think I may have answered my own question -- that I do have the right parts. Maybe I'm just misreading something in the FAQ where it points to two..

Thanks,

Mark
There is only 1 o ring on your car.

The article was originally for both mk3 and mk4 but was split. The caption says that a mk4 is shown and that yours has only 1 o-ring. I will edit it now to be more clear and have given it another proofreading:) Thanks for pointing it out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.