VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI. I am new to owning Diesel car. I have had it 2 weeks and have put 2500 miles on it. 1,800 was for a work related trip all highway for most part. I live in Iowa and it has been in single digits and teens for temps mostly (That's Fahrenheit). I noticed I have been averaging only 33 to 36mpg with it up here (rural highway 90% 10% city). On my trip south to Arkansas and Texas I was getting 40 to 41 on average per tank. 95% highway driving temps in 40's and 50's, driving speed limit 70mph and conservative with the accelerations.

Question 1:
About how many miles does this car need on it before I start seeing the kind of mileage others are reporting in the upper 40's and low 50's?

Question 2:
When it comes time to changing oil has anyone used the Lucas products with their TDI's. I have had good luck in my other vehicals including my Harley with their synthetic oil additive.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Keep in mind that most people tend to report high. Especially with winter fuel, you won't see low 50s. Blends differ by region. I've been getting about 41 highway lately, normally high 40s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as oil goes... DO NOT use any oil that does not meet VW specification. Suggested list on oil from VW is $7.99 per Qt, cheaper than Amsoil, Harley, Mobile 1, and most other good synthetics. Buy it from them until you do all the research!

·
Registered
87 Posts
As far as additives, I'd suggest you do research on lubricity of ULSD and the benefits of lowering the lubricity of your fuel using biodiesel. I add one quart of B99 per fillup such that my overall fuel is about B2. B2 has been shown to lower the lubricity of ULSD to levels that Bosch and other Fuel Injection Equipment manufacturers recommend. Lucas may have a lubricity additive that will also work.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/24099-post37.html
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268198

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone. I figured the winter fuel blend, cold temp, and new engine all play into the MPG. Guess I was wondering how much better it might get after break in and how that takes to get it broken in. I didn't know the manual transmissions were geared higher. Mine does have the DSG transmission. Considering I have issues with my right elbow I enjoy the fact I no longer have to deal with a stick shift. I just hope the DSG holds up as a reliable transmission. It is fun as heck to drive. It is still far better than my 17mpg Ford Ranger I traded in for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Plus 3 Golfer, Great info on the Bosch report regarding Lubricity. It was what I was looking for in educating myself on what it is and what numbers are better than others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts