VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

This may seem like a stupid question as I have posted numerous times.
When I calculate consumption I assume there are 3 modes. #1 allows calculated consumption over the last 2 hours. #2 allows calculated consumption over the last 100 hours and consumption without a #1 or# 2 is current and bobs back and forth between 200 mpg and 0. Since I do not live near the turnpike I cannot get a true mpg highway reading using modes #1 and #2. The third is not a good measure. Someone said i can re-set the trip odometer and it will start calculating all over? Is that true as the owners manual says the above three are the only ways to do this.

thanks

martin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not 100% sure I understand your question, but here's a guess:

Use computer memory 1 and reset it once you are at cruising speed on the highway.

I would respectfully suggest this is not a very meaningful number, but if I'm reading your question correctly it seems to be what you are looking for.

-dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
consumption guage

I switched back to # 2 from #1 and then went back to #1 and was coasting immediately after that down a hill but the gas mileage varied only 1/10th of a mpg so I am sure it did not reset it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does the manual say how to reset it? If it's just bouncing back between 200 mpg and 0, something must be wrong because it should display relativley instant mpg.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
consumption guage

The third variation gives you like 200 mpg when coasting and maybe 10 mpg when idling. Its a useless mode as I had it on my 99 Chrysler Van. The Van however allowed the trip consumption on the trip computer to be re- set any time which the VW does not. Perhaps on a long trip keeping the car steady at 60 mph might be an accurate way but the best would be to re set the consumption reading in mode #1 or #2 and the owners manual does not give the owner the option of resetting these. (#1 is 2 hours with car off and #2 is like 100 hours of driving)

I could always sit on the side of the highway, turn the car off for 2 hrs and wait for it to reset. LOL. This us why these cars are so quirky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm a 4-day driver of the A3 TDI, so this might help and it might not.

When you hold down RESET (the button that you normally flip through the instrument panel menus) for more than a second, it resets your mpg gauges.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got It Finally

Yes indeed. I held the "OK" button down for a few seconds and it recalibrated the mpg. To my delight the highway mpg today for about a stretch of 10 miles through Philadelphia was 53.5 mpg.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Button is Correct!

Chitty:

I apologize. You did say that. Somehow i was thinking the arrow buttons switched it back and forth and that was what you were talking about.
In any event and as always much much thanks. Now i can warm up for the Guinness Book of World Records 9000 mile contiguous 58 mpg record!

·
Registered
24 Posts
While we're discussing this topic, though, I do have a related question.

On the #2 menu, it's constantly calculating my average mpg since the last reset, right? I understand that the number won't be static, but as soon as my foot comes off the gas, it takes a nosedive in mpg, then eventually hits that 200mpg/-- (NULL) stuff.

Is it only supposed to serve as a guide when you're doing highway driving?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
third mode useless

There is no number for that third consumption mode. Its instantaneous for the moment whereas I believe #1 and #2 are an average over different periods of time. Thus coasting down a hill in the third consumption mode (there is no #) will give you 200 mpg and flooring it from a stop light might give you 10 mpg. I think its a waste.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#2 mode

Hi A3:

Sorry I did not answer your question. #2 mode is for the last 100 hours of operation of the vehicle according to the manual. Thus if you turn the car off its will keep calculating the aggregate MPG when you turn the car back on. #1 is for a trip where you stop and get fuel or lunch and get back in the car. As long as you do not shut down the car for more than 2 hours it will keep giving you mpg for that day or particular trip. My need was to figure out how to reset #1 mode as I wanted to see what the car would do on the highway segment of a particular trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts