VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ughI replaced my clutch (which is working fine now) due to DMF issues. Now my problem is I need to adjust my shifter linkage. When I shift to any gear I get a sound like the synchronizers are barely making contact but not engaging. I have called: Baum tools, SnapOn, and searched on ZDmark tools, but no one has the tool VW 3193 (called 3422 in Bentley manual) and the VW 3192/1. THe former is called the "shift linkage guage" and the latter "special wedge and pin". Evidently there is no way to adjust the linkage without the tool. I spent several hours of fruitless trial and error time without any improvement. I can at times move the levers and engage a gear but not with the shifter. Is there anyone with these that I can buy,rent or borrow to set my linkage.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I referred to this article but there was very little that applied to my NB which has the old style cable set up. There is a short discussion with 2 or 3 diagrams but no discussion of how to use it in the Bentley manual. I found this article with a better procedure but still requires the tools. This does show the tools

www.veedubz.co.za/tech/VW Haynes Mk3/CLUTCH.pdf

My problem none of the suppliers have the tools, SnapOn says they are backordered to Germany. I doubt they will be getting any soon since the this an obsolete setup

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Try phoning Jim Royston (Dieselgeek) - he's been known to help people get out of trouble like this...

Good luck,

Yuri

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me TOO!!!!!

Yes I referred to this article but there was very little that applied to my NB which has the old style cable set up. There is a short discussion with 2 or 3 diagrams but no discussion of how to use it in the Bentley manual. I found this article with a better procedure but still requires the tools. This does show the tools

www.veedubz.co.za/tech/VW Haynes Mk3/CLUTCH.pdf

My problem none of the suppliers have the tools, SnapOn says they are backordered to Germany. I doubt they will be getting any soon since the this an obsolete setup

Were you able to rig the transmission without the two special tools? I am having the same problem with my sons car and its just sitting in the driveway!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MY problem turned out to be the splines on the shift lever (the part that is moved when you go from 1st to 2nd etc). When I moved the shift lever it was slippinng on the transmission shift shaft, not moving the internal shift mechanism. When this was replaced I was able to center the bolt mid way in its slide and then the shifter worked

1 - 6 of 6 Posts