VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member trying to work things out with my 02 Jetta TDI with 141,000km. I had the engine decoked at a cost of over a 1000$, and then the stealership asked me for $475 for a new MAF sensor. I said screw it I'll try and fix it myself. Turns out you can by a new MAG sensor for $200 and replacing it is easier than putting together Lego.

That didn't fix the problems I'm experiencing (low power, bucking at low rpms, white smoke on start up and during idle, radio constantly loosing reception). But I'm stuborn and cheap and don't want to pay $95 an hr in labour, and I can almost guarantee the first thing they will say if I take it in is, "we'll need to replace your turbo." F That!

Unfortunately, I'm not a car whiz, and other than new break bads, tire changes, oil changes, air filters, and most recently the MAF sensor, I've never done any complicated work on a car.

Here's the DIY jobs I'm going to be trying to take care of myself: fuel filter change, boost leak check, testing/cleaning the VNT actuator and Vanes. I hope I don't have to replace the turbo, that looks complicated!

Wish me luck.

Alex.:panic:

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take a look at the low power checklist. You do need to buy a VCDS cable from ross tech to do advanced troubleshooting but if you want to take care of the car long term, it's a good investment vs. $95/hour + tax dealer service. $1000 for decoking is a rip off, what did they decoke? They surely cleaned out your wallet....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts