VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The washer motor is working (get output at rear), but no output to the front squirters. The previous owner had a couple of replacement hoses for the repair, but he didn't get around to making the repair. Looking around it seems a bit puzzling where the hose(s) go. Further, I think that a full/proper diagnosis is needed before riping out the old hose(s). Does anyone have any pointers? (lots on issues with the rear, but nothing on the front that I could find)

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like there's only one pump:

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/golf-gob-us-2000-95510-windscreen-washer-system/#p-vw-1j0955751d

That's the part number for the hose (1j0955751d; just spotted it on one of the PO's receipts from the dealer).

Looks like this hose, gasp, runs through the rubber grommet that goes in to the hood. I "gasp" because that thing is all wrapped up with some sort of cloth (electrical) tape, and because who knows where the junction that meets with the clamp listed as item #25.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[bump]

I've looked everywhere but have found nothing on how the tubing for the front is routed! I cannot tell what I need to remove in order to gain access to the hose.

Best I can tell is that the hose routes counterclockwise around the washer tank and then, I figure, disappears somewhere in the fender (and then resurfaces at the hood hinge).

I can see washer fluid dribbling down the inner fender-well, in which case one would think that the hose would be accessible with the inner fender liner removed. I've looked at several pictures with the fender liner removed and I don't see any signs of any washer hoses.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I've replaced the corrugated stock tubing with vacuum/washer hose on our MK5.

The stock route goes through some difficult to access locations. So I just cut it off at both ends.

The line going into the hood should be right behind the passenger side nozzle. You can pull the nozzle out a bit to verify.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pormanq45, how did you route the new hose? And, how did you secure it leading up to the hinge area (where it then feeds up into the hood)?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Pormanq45, how did you route the new hose? And, how did you secure it leading up to the hinge area (where it then feeds up into the hood)?
I routed it similar to the stock one, but not in any of the wiring looms. On the MK5 the hose goes through a grommet in the firewall. Follow that.

At the hinge you'll notice that there's a little plastic guide. Reuse that. Leave enough hose on the engine bay side so that when you close the hood the hose doesn't bind.

If you want to make it easier, IDparts sells the corrugated hose.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where on the firewall does the hose go through? Should I be able to spot it w/o taking things apart? There's also the issue of mine being an MK4 and yours being an MK5, in which case they may be different on how this is done.

I already have stock tubing compliments of the PO (also got a small piece of black rubber tubing, perhaps to connect with?).

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate it. It's raining quite a bit here and I don't have a garage/shelter) :(

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally found a hint on the hose routing. Bently manual, page 7 of section 92 (Wipers and Washers) shows the hose running along the frame rail and then back up and around the shock tower?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had my wife hit the washers today while I poked my head in the wheel well. Fluid is hitting up around the 11 o'clock position of the liner: fluid dribbles on the inside edge of the liner as well as dribbling back behind and down to the bottom of the rear of the fender. This suggests that the diagram in the Bently manual isn't really useful in identifying the actual route.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you. It rained for two days then I left for vacation.

You should be able to trace the line within a few minutes on looking at it with a flashlight.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"You should be able to trace the line within a few minutes on looking at it with a flashlight."

If it could only be that easy! :bangshead

I pulled back the reservoir (lost the lower plastic nut down in the nether regions never to be seen again :bangshead) and could see that the hoses (solid) run through a wire loom under the fuel filter and somewhere under the coolant tank. At this point no amount of light is going to penetrate the denseness of all the crap that's there: I've got a HIGH powered light and if it cannot shed enough light then nothing can. There's some plastic wire(?) tray that also blocks or carries this loom, but it's impossible to see: not sure how the loom would enter this, as it would almost have to do so at a 90 degree angle. Doesn't seem that it would make any sense to run the hoses down that tray anyway, as it's going down and away from where it needs to go (up and to the hinge area).

Beginning to think that no one has ever had to do this before. (lucky me)

On a brighter note, I got the Panzer skid plate installed on her car (now we're both protected). That leaves only this stupid washer issue holding up things (for turning over to her to drive- I'd swap cars and let her use mine but mine's a pig [just got my new intake manifold gasket and am awaiting arrival of intake manifold before I an resolve its piggyness- clogged intake and egr valve]).

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FINALLY! After countless hours of research I have found an actual clue from which I have a high degree of confidence gives me a sense of direction on this.

I was pretty sure that the hose has to pass out of the engine compartment and along the inner fender well somewhere. Find a picture proving this was something that I just couldn't come up with: no one seems to take any pictures inside the well up around the 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock position (toward the rear). But, here is couple:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=58057

The link may be recognized as non-trusted. I have to instruct my browser to go there despite it giving me warnings of impending doom. For those who are untrusting here is the picture of interest:

The hose is wrapped up in tape. It's combined with the passenger side marker (US) and, I believe, a wire that goes up with the hose to the squirters (heater?).

For better context this MBAC VAGS Mk4 fender removal video (stop it at the 255 second mark) shows this passage and the hose routing up and over top up to the hinge area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nOLYs4vXhy8#t=255

I'd seen this video before but couldn't really make out what was there. It looks like wires (and, well, there ARE wires there, as well as it all being taped up- not something that is typically done to hoses), so I had pretty much dismissed it.

Anyway... I'll pull the passenger side wheel and yank out the wheel liner. I will be SURE to snap a picture of this! And, I'm pretty confident that the break in the hose will be located right there as it bends out from the engine compartment: should be a pretty good area to splice- I'll look to provide some extra protection.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have washer fluid to my squirters (for my wife's car)!

Just as suspected, the hose chaffed against the body and wore a hole in the tubing (nearly 1/2" in length).
P1100468 (Large).JPG

Here's a close up. I cut the tubing for the splice. I later cut about 1/2 way into the bad spot, not wanting (nor able to) cut back any further; this gave me enough hose to grab in order to stuff new rubber tubing on.
P1100474 (Large).JPG

Here's with the new tubing installed: about 2" on both ends were slipped over the hard plastic tubing after applying some lube. The hose coming from inside the frame was stiff enough to allow me to push the rubber hose on pretty good- thank goodness for That! I believe that I have a pretty snug fit.
P1100476 (Large).JPG

There are small wires going to the squirters(?) as well as to the side marker light. I encapsulated them with heat shrink tubing (the only thing with sufficient ID to wrap around the wires and the rubber hose), pushing the heat shrink back inside the frame a ways, and then taped it all up as best I could.
P1100478 (Large).JPG

Hopefully this will last another 14 years!

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ugh! I attempted to create a Wiki page but failed! Had the entire thing written up. Apparently I didn't do it correctly. My time and patience level at this point is precluding me from pursuing it any farther :bangshead

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Chitty. Can you tell me what I need to do to make the pictures available? (also, next time I'll pay attention to using the standard template! [just wanting to get the braindump out there])

1 - 20 of 24 Posts