VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to replace rotors and pads today on the 2006 Jetta. When removing the rotor the attachment bolt broke (rusted in I guess - snowbelt car with salt on roads). Drilled for extractor which then also broke. Any possibility of drilling and tapping another hole in the hub or is the metal too hard? Or any luck with getting extractors out? Seems the other option is to replace the hub - all seem to come with the bearing assembly for $100-$200. So much for a simple brake job. Thanks for any input.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, it's only for making it easier to get the wheel on and that's all, I have one broken on my car just now as do many others. It's the wheel bolts that do all the work and as long as they're good then just line the disc up so the hole is in line with the broken screw and fit the wheel.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yep, just forget replacing it. The weight of the screw won't mess up anything. Just make sure the new brake rotor is sitting flat so I would grind down any part sticking out.

When you put the new rotor on, I would use a wheel hanger to make sure the bolt-rotor-hub holes are lined up. When you spin the wheel it can also turn the rotor which puts the hub holes out of alignment. I bought a wheel hanger off ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that is what we did but I thought it would be a pain when changing the tire. I didn't think the bolt had any structural qualities. To save money on a new hub I guess it makes sense to just deal with the occasional issue of aligning the holes.

Thanks for the input.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts