VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this rectangular plastic piece in my trunk that is intended for the front license plate. Does anybody know if there are instructions on how to install this piece (bought my car 120 miles away in PA and I'm not likely to drive 2 1/2 hour one way to get it installed by the dealer). It looks like it would require drilling 3 holes in the front bumper, as the bumper has no holes in it. The piece has a number on the back 5K0.807.287 E. Front license plates are required in VA.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There are 3 plastic snap nuts that snap into holes that you have to drill. Then the plate screws go into the plastic snap nuts. If you don't have the snap nuts then the screws won't hold onto anything. You could use zip ties for the time being to hold it to the front grille but the intercooler and radiator would be blocked. The radiator is plenty oversized but the less obstruction the intercooler has, the better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just zip stripped mine on jejohns. I did NOT want to drill into my beautiful new car. I actually zip stripped it on upside down from what the drilling installation would require (the flat side on the top). I just tightened it down with the zip strips and it's been fine.

I don't see where it would make a big difference grizzly. If about a 1-2" difference in vertical placing of the front license plate bracket is really going to affect performance, VW needs to reengineer the cooler position.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 3 plastic snap nuts that snap into holes that you have to drill. Then the plate screws go into the plastic snap nuts. If you don't have the snap nuts then the screws won't hold onto anything. You could use zip ties for the time being to hold it to the front grille but the intercooler and radiator would be blocked. The radiator is plenty oversized but the less obstruction the intercooler has, the better.
Do you know what size drill bit to use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just do it

Evidently, if you look close at your front bumper, there are very slight dimples of where the 3 plastic rivets should go. Then you just perforate the thin layer covering the holes. The dealership spent a couple minutes looking for this, brought over another guy and both were squinting at the bumper. This is time I will not get back so I told em to just screw it on where it needs to go.

For me, it's not a big deal. The closest state without a front plate law is Arizona then Michigan after that. I'm in Wa State. There are 19 states without a front plate law most of which are east coast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts