VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can you find a flywheel holding tool to remove the 19mm bolt holding the toothed gear on the end of the crankshaft to replace the seal?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Metalnerd.com's crank yank. VW also sells a tool but it only holds 2 of the bolts instead of 4. Once you see how much force is involved in removing it you'll see that 4 is better.

I can rent it because it's such an expensive tool, send a PM. Here is a DIY tool HermTDI made (pic used with permission) It's a piece of old flywheel ring gear welded to a piece of metal that slips in the flywheel TDC inspection hole.

·
Premium Member
9,673 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

As a general mechanics tip just get a socket that fits the bolt perfectly and attach a 3ft power bar and attach the socket to the crankshaft bolt and locate it near to the ground. Get in the car and just flick the starter the initial inertial shock should release the bolt. Or you get the tool chitty talks about, the choice is yours? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
IMHO I wouldn't do that. If something slips or the crank is jarred it will cause damage. Not trying to make the sale but it's not worth the risk. It's also best to not use an impact wrench because it might shock the crankshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, i just got done talking to herm in maine about his little homemade tool. he turned me on to a link to a frank, down south, that made a homemade crankshaft tool which bolts right to the end of the crank toothed pulley. two pieces of metal, a few holes and you have a very stout method of holding the shaft to remove and retighten the bolt. seems a better way than using a screwdriver on the flywheel or the in gear/foot on the brake way, especially when you work alone. we'll see how it works, thanks again for the response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts