VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI with about 170K miles on it. Recently after an oil change, it was difficult starting in the mornings. Normally it's parked in the garage but at this time it was outside on the drive. Temps dropped to the high 20's and we had snow. After finally getting it started, it ran fine. Then I didn't drive for a couple of days and it wouldn't start at all. Engine would turn over, glow plug light & other dash lights came on but it wouldn't start. I changed the fuel filter but that made no difference.

I don't know if it's worth noting that my driveway is sloped. When I backed in (back end higher than front) the car started easier. When I parked so the front end was higher, starting was much more difficult and ultimately nonexistent.

I bought this car new and have been extremely happy with it until now. Typically get 40-42 mpg.

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on what might be the problem. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

Is it only since it got cold that it's been difficult to start? Have you tried giving the plugs a little longer before cranking? Have you checked for fault codes at all? Was it ok before the oil change and if so what sort of oil did you use? Sorry for all the questions but it'll make it easier for people to help diagnosis.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was fine before the oil change. I took it to a local shop & had the usual synthetic oil change (5W-40). I did give the glow plugs (all new) extra time. The fault codes have not been checked. May have to tow car to garage. Budget is limited, so I'm trying to figure out the easiest things to check first.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Yeh I know what you mean, if you wait a bit maybe somebody else will have a good idea for something to check:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Does it sound like it's getting fuel? It's possible there is a clog in the fuel sending unit which is causing fuel starvation. Maybe there is an air leak and there's a bubble of air causing fuel starvation?

Check error codes, please report back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sally
Normally the conditions of hard starting you are describing especially with easier starting when the rear of the car is on a higher angle indicate a fuel pump/ injection pump issue. We have seen it at our shop quite a few times.

50mpg,
The Piedmont Triad is composed of the cities of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, and Hickory, North Carolina which are all located in the foothills (or Piedmont) of the Appalachian mountains of Western North Carolina. It is a beautiful area with a tolerable climate.

Cheers
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts