VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
New to the site and have much to learn. I have a 2006 VW jetta 1.9L TDI. I think its an MK4. Last weekend my wife was driving the car and the clutch went all the way to the floor and stuck there. She lifted the pedal with her foot and then it wouldnt depress anymore. would go less than half the way down and make a horrible grinding noise. I pulled the transmission and discovered that the clutch friction plate was desinegrated. the clutch arm had been grinding on the clutch itself. When i removed the transmission, fluid came out from around the transmission shaft. Closer inspection revealed that the bell housing was cracked itself. Just a little to the left of the input shaft that the throw out bearing rides on. I dont know which way to proceed now. Do i need to be looking for someone to rebuild the tranny? Can it even be rebuilt? or do I need to try to find one in a junk yard? or Call the dealer and have him beat me up for a new one? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Wasn't the original warranty 5 years/50k miles? I don't know since I didn't buy it new.

If it's a 2006 Jetta, the one that looks like the 2010 Jetta it's a mk5.

IMHO, just buy a used transmission from a junkyard. I don't know if that can be repaired but the used price for a transmission looks like it's around $800-1000.

So was the clutch arm bent which caused the grinding or was it because the clutch friction plate had disintegrated?

Lastly, if your clutch was a Sachs, it was covered under a TSB up to 4 years/50,000 miles. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/clutch-kit-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm Read this for more details and the TSB. Maybe VW will work with you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input guys. The friction plate had completely desinegrated. The car has 78,000 Mi. on it so the dealer said there was nothing they could do for me. Anyone on know of a good source for TDI transmissions in the south east?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts