VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2010 diesel sportwagen this past spring. Love it. We keep our cars forever and are used to changing the oil every 5,000 miles. I know the recommendation for this car is every 10,000 miles but when we had the first change the VW mechanic actually suggested we go every 5,000 and just pay out of pocket for the "in between" oil changes not covered by the warranty. Any thoughts about changing the oil more frequently with this particular car? With a hoped for longevity I am inclined to go for it. This is our first VW - and our first diesel! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,395 Posts
Well this will depend on your style of driving. If your doing a lot of short journeys where the engine doesn't get up to normal temperature then I would say the short 10k oil change would be best. VW do a10k and 20k longlife service so the choice is yours. Check the label on the first page your service schedule to see which service interval has been set for your Jetta.

I personally don't like long oil changes even though these longlife oils are supposed to cope. There is nothing wrong doing an oil and filter change at 5k the choice is yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts