VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering the MKVI Golf TDI, but based on my calculations with current prices of gas/diesel in California, the TDI takes about 10 years to make up the $4500 difference over the Base 2.5.

Obviously, the $4500 isnt all tied up in the engine, but I am driving 20k miles a year and and 10 years before seeing the breakeven is a bit long to warrant the diesel.

The model/calculations I've created show that with higher fuel prices (so long as diesel maintains it's distance from gas) even with diesel being 20 cents more expensive than regular, when I increase all fuel prices by 1 dollar, the time to make up that $4500 drops by half. This is not a farfetched concept, as the more expensive prices in my calculations are about what they were last year when prices spiked.

So, this is a long winded way of asking...

Any idea A.) Where prices are going to go between now and 5 years from now, and B.) If diesel will get more or less expensive compared to gasoline???

·
Registered
74 Posts
A. Up.
B. The magic 8 ball says "Cannot predict now".

Hope this helps :)

The TDI has bluetooth, foglights, sport suspension, premium radio, better resale, a tax credit or sales tax exemption, and drives nicer. You are paid back day 1. Driving that much the TDI is the perfect car.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
A. Up.
B. The magic 8 ball says "Cannot predict now".
2nd. If you said you were only taking short trips in the city I'd say maybe a hybrid or used civic would be a good choice depending on what you want.

With the amount of miles you drive, I'm guessing that most of it is not stop and go short trips. Therefore, a TDI will be high fuel economy, safe, well appointed car for you. IMHO, buying a new car is half weighing your wallet and half feeling your heart. You're over thinking it so I hope these opinions help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You both are very correct in saying that I'm over-thinking it.

The truth is, I am currently living in my late-uncles house (guest house of my parents - long story) so I don't pay rent... just everything else.

So, being 22 and just getting out of college, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to take advantage of not having to pay rent and build some credit with a car payment while I have few financial responsibilities.

You're assumption is correct, I drive 20k miles a year, 70% highway, 30%city.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't buy a car to build credit. If you pay your bills regularly and have a credit card and pay it off every month that's enough. The tail is wagging the dog - if you have bad credit and take a car loan it's not going to be in your favor. If you want to buy a house, find a relative who you trust and trusts you , with good credit, and piggyback on their credit cards for 6-12 months. At the end you'll find that your credit is very good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't buy a car to build credit. If you pay your bills regularly and have a credit card and pay it off every month that's enough. The tail is wagging the dog - if you have bad credit and take a car loan it's not going to be in your favor. If you want to buy a house, find a relative who you trust and trusts you , with good credit, and piggyback on their credit cards for 6-12 months. At the end you'll find that your credit is very good.
How does that work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's called piggybacking. They add you to their credit card and you have to trust them. If they don't trust you, they can just have all the paperwork and the card mailed to them. They raise your score - perfectly legal and commonly done between family members. google it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well, I was just trying to throw one more thing in there to justify buying a diesel =)

Today I found a gas station right on my route home where diesel is cheaper than petrol... 2.89 for Regular, 2.87 for Diesel. :panic:

The dominoes are falling in my favor. Now I just need to find a TDI with the options I want. Xenons and Dynaudio..

still cant decide between black and grey though...:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts