VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the listing of features on my 2011 Golf TDI included "Fog Lights" It appears to me that what I took to be the fog lights are actually turn lights and I do have to admit they are handy, but how can they be advertised as fog lights? I have always had real fog lights installed on my last 4 cars and did use them. Who knows what is going on? Thanks in advance for the information.

Frog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw the listing of features on my 2011 Golf TDI included "Fog Lights" It appears to me that what I took to be the fog lights are actually turn lights and I do have to admit they are handy, but how can they be advertised as fog lights? I have always had real fog lights installed on my last 4 cars and did use them. Who knows what is going on? Thanks in advance for the information. Frog.
With the xenon headlights, I've noticed that, other than some increased illumination to the sides, I can't even tell if the fogs are on or not. Not sure if it's an adjustment issue or if the xenons are just overpowering the fogs... :dunno

·
Registered
21 Posts
With the xenon headlights, I've noticed that, other than some increased illumination to the sides, I can't even tell if the fogs are on or not. Not sure if it's an adjustment issue or if the xenons are just overpowering the fogs... :dunno
prolly not an adjustment issue, xenons are bright, fogs are mostly a styling exercise

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
With the Euro light switch you can run fogs without headlights. Otherwise, I think the fogs are useless considering the brightness of the headlights. I see so many cars with their fogs and headlights blazing and I do start to wonder why. I always thought of the fogs as something to get under the fog and avoid the reflected light from the headlights. With both fogs and headlights, there really is no advantage. In fact, it may make the reflection even worse.

With my old Mercedes, the fogs did tend to add a wider beam to the less than stellar headlights on low beam. With the newer brighter headlights, however, it seems the fogs really are just a toy and can also be annoying to the other people on the road. For me, other people's fogs seem to add glare to oncoming cars and cars following too close behind me.

I only use mine before I really need headlights, like a driving light or DRL in less than ideal lighting conditions in the morning or early evening. I don't use the fogs when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The foglights on the golf are really driving lights. They're not true fog lights, but they could help in the fog if they were used without headlights (under very limited circumstances) because they are so low to the ground and should cut through underneath the fog. However, they are very useful as driving lights (which they really are) along with the headlights because they throw light to the sides of the car as well as closer in front of you than the headlights. A few examples of how they've been useful to me so far: I can better see that curb I'm pulling straight up to in the parking lot; I've been able to spot a deer coming out of the woods further off to the side than my headlights would have seen and I was far enough ahead the I would have hit it as it darted out if I hadn't had time to slow down.

This being said, there is no reason to keep the driving lights on when behind someone in traffic. Its just annoying to the person in front of you or oncoming traffic.

Sometimes I have to navigate back roads at night where deer are present going to places where I have to work. I have used VCDS to modify my lights so I can use fogs, headlights, and brights at the same time. This has proved to be a big advantage for me on those back roads where a variety of animals or other obstacles could suddenly jump in front of me or show up coming around a curve.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I agree with that, I find it depends on the car though as some older cars I've owned have had poorly designed headlights and the fogs have really helped but I suppose they're probably not as noticeable with xenons as mentioned earlier due to the brightness of them. I've noticed this with my headlights with them being twin units and I've replaced the dip beams with xenon bulbs and if I put the high beams on the light's a bit strange as the high beams don't look nearly as bright as they used to. Another set of xenon bulbs it is I think.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmm...interesting Seatman...i forgot to mention that i do have halogens and i guess whether you have halogens or xenons it may be a different experience...but i would think the xenons give a more direct beam than the halogen? Anybody with xenons care to comment on their peripheral lighting with or without fogs?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I don't find the xenons any different other than being brighter personally. I don't have fogs though so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Speaking of fogs, is there an easy way to install Fogs from another model (or perhaps importaed Fog lights from Euro models) onto the JSW?

It isn't even available as an option on the Wagon, and Xenon headlights aren't offered either. The lights are nice and bright while she's new, but I bet they'll get worse over time!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Can you not get the xenon bulbs like osram night breakers or similar? They just fit in like a regular bulb without any modification.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those are merely whiter color (different temperature) filament bulbs.

I guss, to clarify what I originally said, I'm disappointed that teh HID lights are not optioanlly (or even as an accessory) available for the TDI JSW in the US.

I come from a Mazda 6 with much nicer projector beam halogen lights with a great beam pattern, and the option to replace with HIDs from MazdaSpeed6 OEM parts, and a bunch of aftermarket options. Either a HID replacement or at least Fog/driving lights lower down, and individually controllable, are in my future!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would also like to know if available, how hard is it to install fogs on 2011 JSW? If this needs the upgraded CECM in addition to the foglight kits and such...

Would like to add or consider as we are close to getting a JSW.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm...interesting Seatman...i forgot to mention that i do have halogens and i guess whether you have halogens or xenons it may be a different experience...but i would think the xenons give a more direct beam than the halogen? Anybody with xenons care to comment on their peripheral lighting with or without fogs?
The bi xenon headlamps give terrific peripheral lighting. I do not even notice the fogs are on. I actually don't even put the fogs on. My last three cars were: MKV GTI, MKVI GTI, and now MKVI TDI. My older model GTI had bi xenoon, my newer model GTI had halogens, and my TDI has bi xenon. I had buyers remorse after getting the mk6 GTI, and traded for the TDI. My only specification to the dealer for options on my TDI were xenon headlamps. They are vastly superior to the halogens. They look ugly, but work a treat.

I found myself driving around with the mk6 fog lights on all the time, tomtry and make up for the absence of
xenon. The combination of the stock halogens and fog lights all running at the same time gave very good lighting...almost comparable to the performance of the xenons on low beam.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The bi xenon headlamps give terrific peripheral lighting. I do not even notice the fogs are on. I actually don't even put the fogs on...
Odd. I'm of the opposite opinion. My '09 Challenger has the factory zenon projectors, and they throw such an even blanket of white light (without any hot spots or shadows) on low beam that I literally cannot tell when fog lights are on. The patterns coming out of the zenon projectors on my '11 Golf are not nearly as smooth. They're still quite good, but there are definite hot and cool spots. The ground immediately in front of and to the sides of the car is noticeably darker than farther out in front of the car, and when I turn on the "fogs" they very noticeably brighten up those areas, making quite a difference. The only problem is, the zenon light is nice and white, while the "fogs" look a bit yellow in comparison. When the warmer weather gets here, I'll be replacing the fog bulbs with something whiter. Anyone know offhand what the bulb type is for our fogs? This is just one more thing that should be in the owner's manual, but isn't...

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the links, how hard is the install for DIY? I have don't lighting before and this is a bit cheaper than the stealership wants for the FL kits/switch/install.
It should be very similar to the mk5 foglight writeup and you can ask the retailers for details. The difference is that you use an aftermarket relay harness to operate the foglights instead of the CECM (OEM computer). The difference is that you can't use the foglights as turning lights (come on at low speeds when turn signal is on) because that's done through CECM.

If you do a step by step pictorial of this it will qualify for the writeup contest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cool, Thanks .. will need to dig into the MK5 instructions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts