VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to use a front mount intercooler on the jetta or passat? I know that the a5 jettas use a front mount. It should help cool off larger turbo boosting and make more power, less smoke right? Even with a chip, I think that it should help.

D

·
0 Posts
It would help alot. The problem is where would you get the intercooler? There's no direct bolt in part so you would have to make your own. The a5 jetta also has the correct plumbing for it. You would also have to make your own piping.

A common problem with front mounts,radiator space is an issue here. The other problem, taking away airflow from the radiator, won't be as big an issue. The jetta and especially the passat have plenty of radiator capacity to handle a front mount.

Lastly, while it should help with a chipped car, the money and time is better put towards a turbo and buying premium nozzles. If you already have an upgraded turbo, then I would seriously look at the intercooler. Don't get me wrong, any intercooler upgrade would help, but it's just that IMO, because there's no bolt on kit, spend time upgrading other parts of the power system first.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
You could always look at ebay for cheap cores and experiment. Even without making a front mount, you could use the existing side mount intercooler and use a bigger core. Using a bigger core in the same spot with the existing piping would help a lot over stock.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
The 1.8T is an mk4 design and goes on the opposite side. I don't know about the mounting areas either. It's not too hard to make your own. Find a core that is the right size. Cut off the tabs or make your own mounting tabs. Done. Just measure how much space you have in the exisiting location to see how much more intercooler you can fit.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to see if there's any direct fit or close to direct fit products out there that I could buy used... ie ,cheap!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Try taking your intercooler out. Measure how much space there is left. Measure the intercooler. You should be able to go a little bit bigger on the core. Switching to a core that flows better, has a thicker core, and doesn't have leaves stuck in it and bent fins should help. Unfortunately, noone makes a FMIC or sidemount for this car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts