VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would this happen? I wasnt having any vibrations or other problems with clutch. Have the trans off for rebuild and see I need clutch friction plate.

But I found the flywheel holes not plumb with the 12M triple square bolts. Cant get the TS tool into the bolt heads.

Any ideas?
15728090771462825396316550447302.jpg

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
It's a dual mass flywheel and they tend to wear. This allowed movement and it got used to being moved in the direction of the greatest force. There's a lot of posts with similar pictures and people asking how to get them off.
You should be able to stick the point of a spud wrench into the head of the bolt and give yourself enough space to get a wrench in the head.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
75 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links! Thinking I'll sound incredibly naive I'll ask anyway.

Any harm in just leaving it and replacing the friction and pressure plate? Or is it in a state of immediate doom?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pro tips! I got them out by pounding the tool in with a hand sledge, then air hammering the bolts loose in roatation until they were all out. They would not clear the holes. I could not pry the thing into alignment. Plasma cutter was catching my eye over in the corner of the shop...

Thinking I will switch to smf. With 330000 miles, will the cheapest ones outlast the rest of the car?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
If the pressure plate and friction pass are in good enough condition there should be no harm, other than having to take it apart again sooner.
A single mass will Outlast the car. Just need to resurface the plate with a new friction pad install. My buddies use a rotary tool with an abrasive pad on low speed. Just enough to take the glazing off.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much, eddielee. My current friction plate is toast. So buying clutch kit everything. Going with Southeast Clutch. No real reason for them other than number 4 on a list of reputable clutch manufacturers and price. Looks like no science behind the list, though. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I have a South bend came with a Sachs friction pad.
I look around on the tdi specific sites and base judgement on them.
Random internet reviews seen to deal more with gassers and I drive a diesel with a lot more torque...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts