VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Fixing froxen breath on the windshield on super cold mornings

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Blackcat 
#1 ·
Problem: frozen breath on the windshield. If it's super cold, your breath freezes on the windshield and the TDI doesn't get heat for a much longer time than a gasser.

Possible solutions are block heater or freeze plug. Frankly, it's too cold to work on the car right now.

Quick ghettorific solution: 12V hair dryer that plugs into the cig lighter.

My friend's gasser A5 Jetta has an electric heater that really helps on cold mornings. The air isn't warm but it's not ice cold either. I was thinking that a quick blast with the hair dryer on the windshield can clear it up so I can actually see. The TDI doesn't get any heat for at least 5 minutes and I already idle the car for 1 minute to scape the windshield. Ghetto solution, but I think it will work!

See less See more
#2 ·
Lol, I think I will actually try that. Did you actually get the dryer yet?

The mk3 cars can use a freeze plug heater but the mk4 cars can't, so it might be a better option for them. Then again, a coolant heater is a much easier install on the mk4 cars which would be even better than a...hairdryer, lol. Something to think about.

#4 ·
LOL! Why not take 3 hair dryers: 2 for the windshield and 1 for your hands.

Luckily, if your car is garaged, it is warm enough to not be ice cube frozen. It helps keep the frost off the windshield too. If you can get a carport or one of those portable garages, would that help with the condensation?

#6 ·
Lol, I think I will actually try that. Did you actually get the dryer yet?

The mk3 cars can use a freeze plug heater but the mk4 cars can't, so it might be a better option for them. Then again, a coolant heater is a much easier install on the mk4 cars which would be even better than a...hairdryer, lol. Something to think about.
Why can't mk4 use a freeze plug block heater for the coolant? FWIW, they won't make the car hot but it helps a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.