VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading at TDIclub and talked to VWoA cust care. Sounds like there is a procedure in place regarding the 28E6/R8 GP recall that put 5v steel GPs in 04&05 PD TDIs that caused the cold start problems.

Looks like the procedure is a duplicate of the cold start TSB from '06 which includes these parts:

4 Pcs - 105916108 Glow Plug
4 Pcs - 038130073AG Injectors
1 Pc - 038907281C Control Unit
8 bolts and 4 screws
Re-Flash ECM

According to VWoA you can request the service department call the VW Campaign Help Line for authorization and reference Recall 28E6.
I'm going to contact my local dealer on Tues to ask about it.

Anyone have any more info?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I entered my VIN into VW's site and nothing came up. In addition, I don't want the dealer touching my injectors. I don't know why they would put in new injectors either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is this about? They had this problem since 06 and it's only getting fixed now?
You can read the whole 28 page saga here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264424

But in a nutshell,
VW issued a recall #28E6 in 09 for an emissions related issue for 04 and 05 TDIs, however it is really about swapping out 7v ceramic glow plugs (which are prone to breaking off in the engine) for 5v steel glow plugs. The recall included an ECU reflash. After the recall many owners reported poor cold starting under 32*. VW suspended the recall, and has now issued a temporary fix for those affected. The temp fix appears identical to a refit for a cold start TSB issued in 06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instead of reading 28 pages of posts you can also read a 1 page summary that is in the FAQ : http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/GlowPlugPDrecall.htm I still haven't gotten any updates on the recalled recall.
Thanks for the link!
I contacted my local VW dealer and spoke to the shop manager. Gave him the info and asked him to contact the Campaign Help Line for authorization and reference Recall 28E6, as instructed by VWoA Customer Care.
He is looking into it and will get back to me. I will post with any info I receive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just heard back from VW dealer. Recalled recall is a go. Dealer was told there was a limited number of parts available for the re-recall, but that they are still available. Parts include new GPs, New unit injectors, new GP control module, misc bolts and nuts, ECU re-flash.
Parts on order, service scheduled Monday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of reading 28 pages of posts you can also read a 1 page summary that is in the FAQ : http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/GlowPlugPDrecall.htm I still haven't gotten any updates on the recalled recall.
OK. Had the GP recalled recall done today at Gebhardt VW in Boulder, CO. They see a lot of TDIs. More than 1/3 of their repair and maint is on TDIs.
So far so good. I'll report back in November to let you know if the cold start problem is solved.
Attached is my invoice for $0.00.

Also got sunroof drain recall done.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Big :thumbsup

I will add your receipt to the FAQ article as proof. This was all recall and not extended warranty right? Below is what I see in the parts catalog. They have a new part number for the injectors. Below are parts for the BEW engine only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will add your receipt to the FAQ article as proof. This was all recall and not extended warranty right? Below is what I see in the parts catalog. They have a new part number for the injectors. Below are parts for the BEW engine only.
I've been doing some digging and it seems that the 038130073AG is a European spec injector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like those affected by the 28E6/R8 recall that caused cold start problems, and did not have this summer's interim (tech bulletin 01-07-43) fix done, are starting to get letters from VWoA stating that the warranty for the GP system is extended and that if they have the cold start issue, VW will fix it. New GPs, new GP control module, new ECU programming.
I'm guessing that because I had the interim fix done, which by the way seems to be working great, I will not get the letter.

Thanks for the heads up:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/glow-plug-recall-PD-TDI.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts