VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought my very first VW and my very first diesel. A 2012 Golf TDI. Love it! Going to have questions as I go along about proper maintenance, etc. The first question I have is the upcoming 60k service. Main things called for are oil change and fuel filter change. I'm capable of doing these myself but read two things I wanted to check on before doing them.

1. Is it true that vw dealerships have a new low ash castrol oil that must be used?

2. After putting in the new fuel filter, do you really need to prime the pump via computer to expel any trapped air or just seal it up and start it?

Thanks , Steve

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

Car: 2012 Gold TDI your need to change that typo.

Reactions: Stevesfirstvw

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Hi all,
Just bought my very first VW and my very first diesel. A 2012 Golf TDI. Love it! Going to have questions as I go along about proper maintenance, etc. The first question I have is the upcoming 60k service. Main things called for are oil change and fuel filter change. I'm capable of doing these myself but read two things I wanted to check on before doing them.

1. Is it true that vw dealerships have a new low ash castrol oil that must be used?

2. After putting in the new fuel filter, do you really need to prime the pump via computer to expel any trapped air or just seal it up and start it?

Thanks , Steve

Yes to both questions. You need to make sure you use the proper spec oil as the wrong oil can ruin your engine and/or emissions system. Sometimes even dealers use the wrong oil and there should be a sticker just under the hood that says to use a 507 spec oil. The nice thing is most dealers carry it or you can get it online from ID Parts, ECS Tuning, or any number of other places- it's not hard to find.

You also do need to prime the fuel system after changing the fuel filter. The easiest way to do this is using VCDS but I believe the Wiki article on the fuel filter also talks about how to run the electric fuel pumps manually to prime the HPFP and the rest of the system. If you don't prime it you will likely cavitate and ruin your HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and send metal particulates through your fuel system which will cost a lot of $$$ to fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts