VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed cam, lifters and timing belt this weekend.
Thanks to this forum and a Bentley manual everything went super smoothly, no real problems at all. When I got stuck on something all I had to do was search this site and there was the answer. Total time to finish was about 9 hours working by myself, with an occasional hand from my son. I saved an easy $ 1,300 doing this my self, plus i feel much better about my car now and have dismissed any ideas about selling. I do worry about the metal from the lobes running through this engine, but the car has been paid off for a long time so I will drive it and see what happens.
FYI: I am not a mechanic and this was my first time to change an overhead cam and timing belt. I would not have even tried this repair if not for this forum and all the info and great pictures everyone has posted.

PS: I removed the tandem pump but if I do this again I would not. I would try the advanced method to save the mess and the hassle of bleeding the air from the fuel system.

Thanks!

Mickey3
Original owner 5 speed manual 2006 Jetta TDi 161,000 miles

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
:thumbsup

If you have any concern about the engine you can have an oil analysis done. This would have to be sampled from the oil after the next oil change after the cam is broken in. They can tell you if there's any unusual wear metals floating in the engine oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts