VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

I'am new to the VW TDI family,purchased a 2011 Golf TDI,in 1st week of Dec. 2010.Car is blue graphite,DSG,no moon roof, upgrades include: tinted windows,chrome exh. tips and, Rial alum. wheels
16 in. with Dunlop snow tires.So far I have 7700 mi. on the clock with no problems.Traded a 2000 GMC Sierra 2wd reg. cab short box with a 5.3l for the Golf, nice truck, but mileage was n't great 15-20 MPG. Love the Golf so far, great handling, braking and, MPG. Have had the chance to do on track
touring at Road America, what a BLAST, can't wait to do Tail of the Dragon in fall!!

HndsumRob,

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
:thumbsup I've passed through Appleton before, that area of the country has got wide open country perfect for long drive! Gas isn't going down anytime soon too

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
Appleton is a nice area, kind of in the middle of everything, Green Bay, Milwaulkee, Madison. Elkhart Lake area has some very nice driving roads, as well as Door County if you stay off the main hwy and, away from the tourist traps.How are things out on the east coast?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's starting to get humid. At least the forests aren't on fire! That's the nice thing about not having a dry heat. The downside is that you can feel yourself breathing. It's like breathing soup on the worst days. I lived in FL and at least they have thunderstorms to clean out the air. It could be worse, it could be Hong Kong. It's hot anytime it's not winter. I've spent some time in the Pacific Northwest and they have good weather there, mild winters and cool summers that are relatively dry. It's all about the ocean currents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where in Florida did you live? My wife and I, drive to Florida every other year, fun trip, looking forward to taking the Golf in 2012 to see what kind of mileage it gets,the 04 Caddy CTS 3.6 gets 28-31 MPG, which isn't bad for 75-80 MPH.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Indian River County. Wow, what a long drive it must be for you!

I have driven from CT to GA in 1 sitting. I almost never get drowsy driving but 20 hours driving will do it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's quite a long drive, about 25 total driving hrs, drove straight through once, never again!!! We usually do about 900 mi. first day, then 650 the next, well worth the trip, gulf side sunsets are very nice. How did you become interested in the TDI's? I' ve got a diesel background, tech for 6 yrs drove for 4 1/2 yrs, now sell parts for them. Always had an interest in the hatchback cars, BMW Z3 coupes, GTI's, so the Golf TDI was a nice blend of performance and, mileage.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If anything, the trauma should have driven me away from them! My family had a 1979 dasher (passat) diesel that was rusted all over, had no power, and was always a little smoky. I had to hold a cup over my head if it rained last night or else the sunroof would drip onto my head! It finally ranaway, was rebuilt, the guy who repaired it left a shop rag inside, was repaired again, and finally sold. The 1.6 had problems with runaway but there are fixes now.

There is no other high mileage car that I would like to own other than the TDI. EV and hybrids still have a ways to go although the Prius is getting there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts