VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased by first Jetta TDI 2002 for a good price. Has 210K mile. The first thing I did was do the timing belt H20 pump change since I only had maintenance records up to 110K mile. On the drive home turbo was beginning to fail me at higher speeds.....Just wasn't there. Progressively got worse at lower speeds. Now it will go into limp mode after 10 miles or so. I am getting a CEL after a few moments after start up. The dealer said it was a glow plug circuit.

I am thinking about a obd-2 scanner to verify the code. Will this scanner provide me with over-boost codes etc.??? I was getting some oil leaking out of the EGR valve and I am now concerned with the turbo possibly going bad...although they say this is a rare thing... I took the intake off and it appears it has already been cleaned and I didn't have much oil at all in the inter-cooler. I am doing a switch on the n75 valve today and have a new one on hand along with a turbo actuator. I also have new vacuum lines to install. Unplugged the MAF with no effect found. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't get a generic obd2 scanner. You can go to autozone and get those generic codes. Get a Ross tech VCDS and in addition to codes, you can see the actual sensor readings to verify if they are working or not. Many fail without throwing codes.

EGR weeping out out of the weep hole is not normal but a common problem and doesn't affect anything else.

If you unplug the MAF and there is no improvement in power or no change in power while it's unplugged, it's bad or something else is limiting power. If you do the tests in the MAF FAQ, mg/str should go up to 850. If not, the MAF is bad. It can be bad and not throw any codes. You need the Ross tech vcds to read these settings or else you might be replacing the MAF for no reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts