VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Excellent wealth of information on my favourite cars, I have always loved diesels, and have recently made the jump to the computer controlled car, doing all my own fixing has made me reluctant to own a car with a computer but all the information here has made the switch no problem. I got the 1996 passat tdi 1Z to put the engine into a 1984 grumman mailvan with the old 1.6 non-turbo diesel. But love the car so much that I now have to find another tdi as a donor vehicle. Which tdi is the most forgiving in terms of computer to put in the grumman mailvan(1984 rabbit chassis), I know the wiring will be hard but the tdi's have so much more power and have pollution standards.

Will change the timing belt next week on the passat, am currently tracking down boost leaks, the plastic air intake pipe was cracked, the cold air side of the turbo, fixed this with hose and hose- clamps as the new part is 150 plus. the front plastic air breather tube was also cracked next to the block and so had to get new part. When that is in I will be able to finish finding the boost leaks.

My question is how much is stock power on this vehicle, when should I be satisfied that it is in good running order, You always wish to get more power but how do you judge when you have caught up with overdue fixing and should be content.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The 98 and ALH engine is the way to go if you want to do another swap. They don't have immobilizers (I forget if the 99 Beetle has it too) so you can swap ECU with no further work. In addition, the ALH has a number of improvements like the ability to plug-play the larger 11mm head injection pump, VNT turbo, and more parts availability.

However, the 1z and AHU mk3 Jetta engine mounts are the same as older chassis. The ALH engines use the pendulum dogbone mount. It'll fit but you have to mod.

The stock 1z engine is rated at 90 hp but many have found that it has a little over 90 hp and around 149 lb-ft torque.

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

As chitty says the 1Z is 90bhp which they only made 1993-96. The AFN 1995-96 was 110bhp if you could drop on one but they are probably not available in Canada. Then 1996 on you have AJM and ATJ with 115bhp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the ALH might be worth the effort of changing the mounts. The Kubvan mailvan is all aluminum and has lots of room. It will be months or years away before I have the time to swap that engine out. Thanks for the engine compatability hints.
Once the boost is fixed I will figure out if stock 90hp is enough. I feel like I'm driving a tractor right now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Many have modded the ALH to 200 hp which doesn't sound like a lot but that's close to 400 torquejaw drops
A tractor isn't so bad, it just depends on what car the engine is mounted in ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts