VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Just want to intro myself and ask a small question. First the intro, we live in the Yukon and it was -51C here last week so I occasionally get a chuckle when someone from Georgia talks about a cold weather issue, but then cold is relative. Our daily drivers are my '03 Dodge diesel and my wife's '06 Jetta TDI. Both have an Espar heater, we also live off the grid so plugging in means starting the generator, the Espar's are awesome. Have a remote on the Jetta (for the Espar, the Euro version with 2 way transmission and up to 1000m range) and one to add to the Ram when I can get it into my shop.
Now the question, the other day when my wife started the Jetta (about -45C, -49F) there was a new warning light that came on. I didn't see it and we didn't get an owners manual when we bought this used. I looked online thinking it would be easy to find a listing of warning symbols either generic or VW specific but so far no luck. Anyone know where I could find one?
While I'm at it some more info on the Jetta, have changed the DSG fluid once, the DMF has the "rattle" and have a new flywheel and will install soon. Also will be checking the cam at the same time.
I enjoy the forums, lots of great info.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Can you take a picture? I don't have an owner's manual but I can tell you what they are.

FYI, if you do a step-by-step pictorial with tips on how to remove the DSG flywheel it will qualify for the writeup contest. The prize is currently a $50 e-gift certificate to kermatdi.com. See the general forum for more guidelines and rules. Hopefully your shutter finger won't be frozen so you can take lots of pics, it would help others as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ccbb. I haven't seen the light yet, just figured I could find a list. Will have to figure out how to insert a pic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CCBB,
I was unable to get the digital camera to focus on the dash lights. It is the first light on the lower left hand side, just above the speedo needle at rest. And it looks like a steering wheel, round circle, 4 spokes, 2 are horizontal and the other 2 are angled below, with a small circle they all radiate out from.
She did not drive the car as she could hardly turn the steering wheel, no power steering. When I started it the next day all was fine, no broken belt or blown hose (very common when it is so cold) So it makes me think it is a symbol for the power steering but what exactly is it reading?
Thanks for your quick replies.
Cheers, Dan

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Post moved to mk5 section since it's starting to contain some technical info.

Here is a picture fron the writeup on how to remove instr cluster faces

That sounds like steering system fault, electric steering (no hoses or belts) cuts out if it senses a problem. Can't say what the problem is but a code is stored. If you disconnect the battery it lights up but driving normally resets it in a few seconds w/o loss of power steering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know the steering had an electric pump. If the pump is unable to turn or can only turn slow due to the viscosity of -50C oil the computer could see that and light the light. There would also not be any steering assist. I wonder how much that little motor/pump would take before it gave out?

I have often thought that the Yukon would be a great place to have a cold weather testing facility for the manufacturers.

Thanks CCBB for the reply, the picture was great, shows the symbol perfect.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Sorry, there is a miscommunication, there is no electric power steering pump and no power steering fluid. The power steering is driven by an electric motor on the steering rack in addition to manual column linkage in case of failure and when you're not requiring assist. There is no fluid to become thick at cold temperatures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts