VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great site, I am sure I will have my laptop under the hood trying to fix this car for years to come.
Looking forward to my new adventure with the TDI Like the car so far.
138K Craigslist purchase one owner. Runs a little rough. The intake was recently cleaned and the timing belt was done at some time. Service history not available. In new england and it does not like to cold start. Plenty of blue smoke coming out for the first several min. Runs well when warmed up. Had a shop that works on Audi's and TDI look at it and they said I had excessive oil in the intake and that my Turbo might be going. How can I confirm this? I have OK mechanical ability and would like to dive in. Also need a manual any suggestions.
Tks,
Rick

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Manual : Bentley is excellent.

It's hard to say how much oil is excess since you'll find oil from the CCV crank case vent system in there and a little normally seeps from the turbo. A small pool of oil in the intecooler is normal if the car isn't exercised to blow it out.

Lots of blue smoke could sound like a bad turbo though. Bad valve seals dripping oil down could be smoke on start. Worn nozzles could also cause smoke by dripping fuel that burns off.

Look through the FAQ to see how to remove the turbo, replace the nozzles, do a compression check, and see the new owner checklist. Timing could be off even though the timing belt was just done. Because the service history is not available you may want to redo it yourself.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Try contacting the last owner for who did the timing belt and what was changed. By that mileage you have to make sure the tensioner, water pump, and idler pulley was changed. If your turbo is going I would get a VNT 17 replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts