VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pros:

1. So far on the first tank, I have about 530 miles with about a 1/4 tank remaining. Not bad for mostly city driving with AC on. I'm hoping the mpg will increase as the engine breaks in. Gonna fill her up tomorrow with B5.

2. Love the seats with lumbar support and side bolstering. Just wish they were all electronically controlled.

3. Nice smooth, torquey acceleration!

4. The sound system is not bad at all. VW has definitely improved on this over the old Blaupunkt days.

5. Suspension valving on the Golf feels more on the sportier side. I'd like to get fatter swaybars on her.

6. The engine/exhaust tone is too quite! At times I have to lower down the stereo to see if the engine is still running. Sometimes in traffic I find myself revving high in 2nd gear because I forgot to shift into 3rd.

Cons:

1. Horrible blind spots - Once a car disappears from my side mirror, I can't even see the car by turning my head to the left. I have to lean forward and look over my left shoulder into my blind spot to see the vehicle. It makes changing lanes slow and dangerous.

2. Bliping the throttle to match engine speed when downshifting is not easy to do compared to my GTI (i.e. double clutching). The response time from depressing the accelerator to the revs shooting up is slow.

3. Downshifting into 2nd gear is like stabbing the brakes!

4. Not being able to pan/zoom on the navigation map.

5. Push button start would be nice since the ignition area is little tight especially with the key fob.

Wish list:

LED tail lights and Euro switch

Looking forward to the non-commute drive to MotoGP down in Laguna Seca tomorrow. Sunday will be on two wheels!

--Ryan

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd say your Pro's out weigh your Con's. My 2011 Golf doesn't have any blind spots compared to the 07 Toyota FJ I had. I'd lose whole cars if they stopped right behind me at a traffic light. :panic:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with PaulGiz. I too found the blind spots on my 4 door extremely dangerous, surprising for all the other safety accolades the Golf has garnered, and like Paul I purchased the replacement blind spot mirrors from ecstuning. Their video makes replacement look a little bit easier than it is, but I got it done, though I cracked a factory mirror in the process. After a few days I got used to them and oh what a difference. While I still do a shoulder check, it is not really necessary as I've not been surprised once since installing the mirrors. I've had them in place for about 2 months and 3k miles. John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got any installed pics of the aspheric mirrors?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a few I just took at lunch. All taken from the driver's seat with cell phone camera. Hope it helps.

(Click on thumbnails after logging into Forum for bigger views)

P.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
5. Suspension valving on the Golf feels more on the sportier side. I'd like to get fatter swaybars on her.
Go with H&R I've got an H&R front and a BSH rear. The car tracks super flat but the BSH squeaks allot.

6. The engine/exhaust tone is too quite! At times I have to lower down the stereo to see if the engine is still running. Sometimes in traffic I find myself revving high in 2nd gear because I forgot to shift into 3rd.
Forget it. Unless you're willing to do at least a partial emissions delete, which voids the warranty, ever getting rid of the muffler does nothing for sound.

Cons:

1. Horrible blind spots - Once a car disappears from my side mirror, I can't even see the car by turning my head to the left. I have to lean forward and look over my left shoulder into my blind spot to see the vehicle. It makes changing lanes slow and dangerous.
Aspherical mirrors, as has been stated.

2. Bliping the throttle to match engine speed when downshifting is not easy to do compared to my GTI (i.e. double clutching). The response time from depressing the accelerator to the revs shooting up is slow.

3. Downshifting into 2nd gear is like stabbing the brakes!
There's software in the ECU for fuel economy, my tune fixes this. Here's my car, with plenty of downshifts. 3-2 isn't too bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmK1P7Ehf8Q

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect! Thanks PaulGiz.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Sorry but thats a pretty boring video ToeBall.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry but thats a pretty boring video ToeBall.
Oh I know it is, it's just some stock footage but there's quite a bit of shifting at low speeds, including downshifting with engine braking, which shows the difference in throttle response with the tune, and also how the engine sounds straight piped driving around.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agoodhi, nice writeup, and I generally agree.
Pros:
6. The total absence of intake honk (I had a short ram on my previous car) and exhaust bark has been one of the hardest things to get used to. And whatever grumbly noises the engine does make are..... well blah. Actually, I've found that the car feels faster when i've got the stereo turned way up and I can't hear any engine noises. Somehow, that rush of torque through 2nd and 3rd gear is way more entertaining when you can't hear the groaning going on under the hood.

Cons:
1. Spot on about the visibility. I'm absolutely certain that I will, one day, back into a kid walking in a parking lot or something. between the giant headrests that seem to wrap around your head when you want to look behind you, to the acre of C pillar, it's like driving a tank sometimes. Even the A pillars are so fat, I've nearly hit crossing pedestrians while turning left. Unfortunately, this is becoming pretty common in all new cars as chassis solidity (for safety and ride/handling) continues to improve at the expense of visibility.

2. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the diesel responded to throttle blips for rev-matching on downshifts (which is different from double clutching BTW). I expected it to be useless, as several gas-powered cars with the latest batch of lazy electronic throttles require a huge push to the floor to achieve any meaningful rev matching. On the contrary, the floor-hinged pedal in the golf tucks in nicely under the right side of my foot, and responds eagerly to a deliberate push. I think part of the trickiness may be down to the clutch. While I can usually get the revs matched fine, the clutch doesn't have enough feel to engage it at exactly the right time for a seamless heel-toe downshift. The easiest car to rev match I've ever driven was a 2002 Civic SI. It's like it read my intentions and executed it automatically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't noticed too much of a visibility problem with my golf (2-door). I also have my mirrors adjusted so that there is almost not blind spots. Once a car disappears from my rear-view mirror, it begins to appear in one of my side-view mirrors.

Rev-matching is going to be more difficult in these cars. No matter how much you want it to be, a TDI will never drive exactly like a gasser. They are much closer than ever before, but its still a diesel engine...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't noticed too much of a visibility problem with my golf (2-door). I also have my mirrors adjusted so that there is almost not blind spots. Once a car disappears from my rear-view mirror, it begins to appear in one of my side-view mirrors.
Yup, 2-doors are much better than the 4-door Golf/Jetta/JSW. Our B pillar is in a bad place for visibility.

P.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Regarding:

Pro #4, my '11 2-door has DynAudio with the nav system...and VW should be ashamed to charge extra for it. The "equalizer" needs at least 5 channels (7 would be better), but the real crime is the total lack of low-end bass...and I'm an old guy who does not need an atomic stereo to be happy. The stock system in my '09 Challenger really blows this system in the ditch. The only thing good I can say about DynAudio is that it does sound somewhat better than the Monsoon system that was in the '04 R32 that I traded in on the TDI.

Con #1, you don't need to spend money on different mirrors. The stock ones will eliminate your blind spots if you simply adjust them so that there is no over-lap between the inside mirror and the outside mirrors, i.e., so that the inside edge of the left outside mirror picks up where the left side of the inside mirror leaves off, and the inside edge of the right outside mirror picks up where the right side of the inside mirror leaves off. With this system, the coverage is so wide that you'll never have to do more than slightly turn your head after you check all the mirrors. I learned this trick at Skip Barber, and it works beautifully...at least, it does on a 2-door.

Con #4, I can't help you with panning the nav map, but you can zoom it with the center nob...at least, you can on the RNS-315...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree on the blind spot on 4 dr and I adjust my mirrors in the same fashion as Bob describes. The problem is that there is a point where the car disappears for both rear view and side view and the large B pillar completely obstructs your view. The blind spot mirrors correct that. John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts