VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove an acura rsx over the weekend, what a great shifter? Is there any way to get that kind of feel into the jetta? The shifter has a lot of side-side movement and doesn't slick into the gears the way the rsx did.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Shifter bushings are a start. Remember that the shifter shifts through a cable, so replacing or adjusting the cables and all the bushings will help a lot. A short shifter will reduce the shifter travel but you don't need a short shifter to improve shifter feel.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the cable setup. A directly linked shifter would give better feel, a weighted shifter knob would have better feel, I suggest taking apart the shifter and replacing the bushings and tightening it up. The shifter on top of the transmission also has some bushings that can be replaced. Try changing your transmission fluid.

I don't like short shifters, some are just shortened shifters by cutting the shifter shaft down, this does nothing. What you have to do is shorten the throw by modifying the metal shifter assembly on top of the transmission to change the throw.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, I don't think I'm going to be swapping transmissions! Where can I buy the bushings?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Dieselgeek used to sell short shifters and stiffer bushings, I no longer see them. Try the dealer, I'm having trouble finding the part # right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts