VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New timing belt, wont start, blew turbo pipe off an actually had a small fire. It's back fireing in exhaust. I pinned crank and cam following myturbodiesel.com. explicit instructions. I know thats right, anybody who can help me?
No Start, no codes.
Sounds like timing but all pins went in easy after 720 rotation.
Help?
Update to post, yesterday.
Cleaned tank out , fuel was bad, replaced lift pump, added fresh fuel & filter.& battery. If backfireing in exhaust , this sounds like timing to my gasoline engine mind. If i loosen the cam gear bolts (3) should i rotate counter or clockwise to try to help this Pump D. Start? Anybody ideas?
Getting VERY frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

We don't know the history of what has been done, without read all your posts?

Have you replaced timing belt, recheck the timing?

No error codes scanned with what VAG-COM\VCDS or a generic scanner?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
New timing belt, wont start, blew turbo pipe off an actually had a small fire. It's back fireing in exhaust. I pinned crank and cam following myturbodiesel.com. explicit instructions. I know thats right, anybody who can help me?
No Start, no codes.
Sounds like timing but all pins went in easy after 720 rotation.
Help?
Update to post, yesterday.
Cleaned tank out , fuel was bad, replaced lift pump, added fresh fuel & filter.& battery. If backfireing in exhaust , this sounds like timing to my gasoline engine mind. If i loosen the cam gear bolts (3) should i rotate counter or clockwise to try to help this Pump D. Start? Anybody ideas?
Getting VERY frustrated.
VAG/COM LITE scanned
- newbelt/wpump, tensioner etc
-fuel was originally bad, tank cleaned
-lift pump, filter. New
-diesel return line, still seems intermittent with fuel, seems to be alot of air.useing key/lift pump multiple times.
-pre filled filter
-car started then died, pre disassembly.
- i quote you from another Post.
If its got air, fuel, & compression it should start.
-its clear on compression, back fire in exhaust, air, it caught on fire,
That was Either. I don't believe it getting fuel. Any other thoughts?
- No error codes at this time, im plugged into a OBD Scanner, during start attempts, no new codes displayed

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts

I'm curious how you have edited your last post?

This stupid new forum the edit link doesn't show for a couple of weeks. I've asked admin about this but as normal no good reply.

I've asked another member in a conversation and he can't edit a post.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Easy on the Ether...

"Diesel engines, too, can suffer the effects of starting fluid. Their high compression can cause the fluid to ignite too early, effectively causing pre-ignition, which invites all kinds of problems, like catastrophic piston or rod damage. Plus, it has no lubricating properties, so it can hasten piston wear."

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VAG/COM LITE scanned
- newbelt/wpump, tensioner etc
-fuel was originally bad, tank cleaned
-lift pump, filter. New
-diesel return line, still seems intermittent with fuel, seems to be alot of air.useing key/lift pump multiple times.
-pre filled filter
-car started then died, pre disassembly.
- i quote you from another Post.
If its got air, fuel, & compression it should start.
-its clear on compression, back fire in exhaust, air, it caught on fire,
That was Either. I don't believe it getting fuel. Any other thoughts?
- No error codes at this time, im plugged into a OBD Scanner, during start attempts, no new codes displayed
3 little dots in rt corner of post, sez edit. Work just fine for me. Im looking for wiki information so I can review the timing, again

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
3 little dots in rt corner of post, sez edit.
Thanks for the tip but the 3 dots obvious on IE11 as they are loads of grey circles, you have to hold you mouse over them and select Site Navigation. Admin never suggested that when I asked about this problem.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip but the 3 dots obvious on IE11 as they are loads of grey circles, you have to hold you mouse over them and select Site Navigation. Admin never suggested that when I asked about this problem.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Im going back to re check my timing as you suggested. I still believe it spot on an i followed th direction to a T. All of these bolts are 1 torque wonders, i hope I don't have to remove the engine mounts to do this. As i said, i used the correct tools for crank & cam. An did 720 degree rotation. The car should have been close enough on values to start? Correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts