VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc., over the weekend and also decided to replace the fuel filter. I finally came to the moment I've been waiting for. The engine tried to start for maybe the first 10 seconds or so but then it would only turn over and not give any indication of starting. I'm hoping this event has something to do with the fuel filter change and not the timing belt change. After reading the fuel filter change procedure I'm perplexed as to whether I should keep trying to crank it or try and purge the air out of the system. I'm more inclined to try the vacuum pump method. Is the brake bleeder type pump something I can buy at a local auto parts store? Thanks for the help everyone has given during my first timing belt change. It has been a great educational experience. Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes but I would try to the loosen one of the metal fuel lines at the fuel injector, wrap a rag around it, and crank. This should get most of the air out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will try that. The only thing I know about the BEW engine is what I have discovered on this forum which has been most helpful with all the how-to articles and the members sharing their knowledge. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHOOPEE!!! This baby is purring like a kitten. I do HVAC work so I figured I would use my vacuum pump to pull the fuel up to the fuel filter. Sounded like a good idea. Don't ever use a two stage vacuum pump for that. It only took about two seconds of that vacuum pump running and I was drenched in diesel fuel. First mistake, I should not have been standing in front of the discharge port of the vacuum pump. Second mistake, wrong application for a two stage pump. But, on the good side, this NB is on the road again. Appreciate all the pointers and tips from you forum members. Thanks a lot, Don.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Too late now, but... the PD engines have a lift-pump in the fuel tank... it's supposed to run for a second or two when you turn the ignition on... The way to prime the fuel filter on this model is to turn the ignition on for a second or two, turn it off, back on, back off, back on...

Yuri

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's pretty cool to see all these replies coming in from all over the globe. Appreciate you guys from across the pond and next door chiming in on this. Good advice. Next project is automatic transmission fluid change. The fluid has same mileage as the timing belt, 123k+. Like the timing belt it is past due. Is the ATF specific to certain years or does one fluid apply to all tiptronic transmissions? Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
68 Posts
if you have a newbeetle TDI from 2004, you have a DSG transmission, and you MUST get the specific fluid for that transmission.

there is also a very specific procedure for filling the trans using VCDS to check the fluid temperature.

I do believe that there is a very good writeup on this site that details the DSG fluid change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts