VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a sunroof, you should occasionally clean out the drains. If you don't water can get blocked in the drain lines and leak into the interior.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/sunroofdrain.htm

A weedwacker line works well, don't use compressed air or anything too stiff that could dislodge the line. If that happens, the interior panel has to be removed to reattach it.

D

·
0 Posts
I remember someone asked about this a while ago, hope this helps future questions!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Sunroof opens and closes at its own pleasure

My sunroof in my golf TDI sometimes opens and closes by itself when I am driving along, does anyone know where I need to look for a fix?, I imagine,. it may be the internal switches that are dirty,(do not know where they are located) I may be wrong, if anyone knows pls. let me know what to do thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the switch and spray with electrical contact cleaner. You can also try compressed air since cleaner might damage the plastic. Definitely don't use brake cleaner.

I had an audi where there was a carbon strip and a spring inside. Over time, the spring would wear out through gravity and use. The exterior of the switch looks identical to the VW switch but the internals were different. But they might have changed it over the years or mixed it with the VW parts bin, so this might be an idea.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
chittybang

Is the switch inside where you turn the knob to open and close the sunroof? cause long time ago i tried to pry that little panel out, and broke that little cover for the light so I did not want to continue to pry it out, Pls. tell me how to pry it out thanks.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the part you are talking about?

Remove the fuzzy panel

Remove the clear plastic part by pulling from the front, down, and toward the rear of the car

There are 2 phillips screws holding it

You can also try cleaning the connector to the switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Sometimes it can break just because.

Otherwise it shouldn't come out with too much fuss. The Audi/VW sunroof switches are a really common problem.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
What about cleaning the rear drains? My car has started to stink and it appears to be coming from the headliner above the rear passenger seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts