VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Jetta TDI.
After turning off ignition sometimes fan(s) continue to run until I restart/turn off again.
Occurs even when not particularly hot.
Dealer says it is normal? Very weird.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was afraid to let it go more than a few minutes when it was really loud(several fans?). Usually sounds like one fan and stops spontaneously.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Its ok to run for a min or two. Lot of cars a design to run the fans if the engine is to hot when you shut down. Even my Motorcycle does it. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have experienced the same thing. It happened to me only a few times since I've owned the car. No indication that the car is hot but the fan keeps running for a long time after turning the car off. Very weird!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please do a bit of reading.

This is perfectly normal, it us related to DPF regeneration.

Every 500 miles or so, your car forces a DPF (diesel particular filter) clean. It does this by adding an extra pulse of fuel injection post combustion.

This raises the exhaust temperature high enough to burn off the ash collected in the DPF.

Most of the time you don't notice it, although you may see a high idle speed.

If you shut the car off in the middle of a regeneration, or shortly thereafter, the fans will run as the underhood temperature is high. You may also notice a slight burning smell. No worries, everything is fine. Just let it go.

P.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts