VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
If all the tires had the same pressure, theoretically, they would all loose the same amount with a temperature change, and the ABS based TPMS on the 2011's would not indicate a problem, so a manual pressure check with seasonal temperature changes is probably prudent.

John

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Happened to me too in my 2010. I was running close to the minimum, at 36 psi. The weather changed and I got the fault. When I checked the pressure, it was down to about 34 psi. I added pressure back to 38 psi and the light was off. I think I would like to run my tires a bit softer than 38 psi for a comfortable ride, but I guess it does help protect the rims a bit and helps with mpg. On my 1995 E320 Mercedes, the recommended pressure is only about 28 psi unless the car is fully loaded or you are driving near maximum speed. That car was much heavier, so it does seem odd to have to run 38 psi in the VW Golf. Oh well, I can live with it and I guess the TPMS is kind of nice feature.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If all the tires had the same pressure, theoretically, they would all loose the same amount with a temperature change, and the ABS based TPMS on the 2011's would not indicate a problem, so a manual pressure check with seasonal temperature changes is probably prudent.

John
I agree, that is the downside of the ABS-based systems. Does anyone know if the ABS-based in the 2011's can tell you which tire is low? Seems that should be easy to program if you're using ABS sensors.

I waffle back and forth over which system I prefer. If the batteries in the TPMS sensors in my Golf were replaceable, that would be a big plus.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Had mine go off with a cold snap as well. Temps here having been fluctuating so much it is hard to stay at 38, really annoying :panic:

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Does anyone know if the ABS-based in the 2011's can tell you which tire is low? Seems that should be easy to program if you're using ABS sensors.
Yes that would be easy enough to program but its not really critical which tyre as you generally check all tyres if the light comes on. I've had my light on 3 times in the last 4 months and one tyre is 33psi when all the others are 37psi. Its the same tyre each time I've checked for any objects and nothing shows so it must be a slow rim seal. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts