VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reply to a product called the intercharger on another forum. Please don't buy "intake vortexes", magnetic fuel energizers, or hydrogen car conversion kits. They don't work. The car companies spend millions on trying to do the best with what they have, and something that is not super cost prohibitive and can make such a huge difference would probably already be on your car.

First post
intercharger (dot) com
I havent checked this out myself but my uncle was having the same issue with his MKIV TDI Jetta and this thing made all the differance in the world. more power, acceleration, better mileage, no more intake cloggage (if thats even a word), etc...
"

My reply:
....LOL...wow, just wow.

First off, the website dances around what these "chemical reactions" are that cause better burning of the exhaust?? It's supposed to work on both gas and diesels? This sounds about as scientific as putting magnets on the fuel line or a tornado in the intake. And it would be nice if they actually had clear pictures of the product they are selling instead of mostly computer drawings. Lastly, emissions compliance and R&D has cost VW millions, they are the biggest retards because they should have just bought the product that "TranCert Marketing" (real scientific name) is selling!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hehe, yeah, that looks lame. I read an article in "Popular Mechanics" which actually dyno tested a few of those devices and the found that they either did nothing, reduced fuel economy, and 1 started a fire.

D

·
0 Posts
are you sure it's not some kind of egr filter or catalyst? those help reduce egr clogging.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
"transcert marketing"??? That alone would turn me off.

It doesn't look like a filter or catalyst. It looks like a magnet that you put on the fuel lines. And since it's suppossed to work on gas and diesel, I doubt it works on either.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be easier to understand if they described how it works and instructions.

Instead, they just say that it will do all this magical stuff without explaining the process. What are they hiding? That's why it seems especially shady.

D

·
0 Posts
Oh well.

The tornado must have made millions for something that doesn't work, maybe it's not such a bad idea!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Fake, I would can't say that I agree. I bought one for my F150 and had a 25% increase in fuel mileage (24.8% to be exact). I was impressed. The person who asked me to try it then told me he was the CEO of ICE ( intercharger energy, the marketing side of Intercharger) He asked me if I would assist with R&D on their product. I guess I got skillz.

Long story short, there were some issues mid summer with the Intercharger but I've gradually worked most of them out and now I have several testimonial letters from fleet managers in the mid-south regions.

Some of the reports we are seeing:
-Budweiser Distributor reports 33% increase on a DT466
-School Bus maintenance manager reported 22.5% increase in fuel mileage on a bus in West Virginia (anyone who knows the area, it's very mountainous)
-Truck fleet maintenance manager reported 5-7% increase on a 14L over the road truck (loads very in size from a few tons to 40,000lbs)
-FedEx Ground Truck (the type that look like a bread truck - independent driver) 25% increase in 2 weeks of testing.

Everyone I've installed have reported an increase in performance and fuel mileage.

As far as the emissions, Look it up for yourself. CARB (California Air Research Board) EO # D-671 ( I'd give you a link, but that won't work here)

That's the Facts.....

Oh, it's just too good to be true.... well, no. There has been some failures, lots of R&D went into the product since April of last year (2009). When I came on board, I saw oil consumption issues from too much vacuum at the crank case vent. Then there was the rash of oil separators that kept coming apart on the road. The oil separators also required so much maintenance that all the gains were simply off set by the hours of cleaning. There was also several cases of mechanics that had no clue on how to install the Intercharger. They used hoses that didn't hold their shape and collapsed under vacuum. What a mess I walked into.

Now, where do you live and we'll put your money where your mouth is.

I propose a meet and greet. Anyone reading this thread, I challenge you this. I will meet you, install an Intercharger and give you 30 days to run it. If at the end you have an improvement in fuel economy and performance, you buy it at the current market value. And you Report any results, good or bad, to this thread. And if you were one of the guys bad mouthing the IC without trying it, you must also apologize.

It's getting awfully quite in here........

I'm in the Middle TN area.... just in case your close

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest question I have is why has this not shown up on major automaters? If a revolutionary technology works you could make many times more profit and many times more impact licensing this technology to automakers. They spend a lot of time and money to meet emissions standards, fuel economy standards, and give as much power as possible. Why has no manufacturer adopted this product? If it increased fuel economy by 25%, why hasn't Ford outfitted every new truck with it?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
For those few testimonials about junk like this that are not simply faked, here's why users really do report better performance: they just got soaked for the purchase price and it's human nature not to want to admit they got taken for a ride.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

-dan

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
For those few testimonials about junk like this that are not simply faked, here's why users really do report better performance: they just got soaked for the purchase price and it's human nature not to want to admit they got taken for a ride.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

-dan
Dan, none of the fleets that wrote the testimonials payed a thing until after they saw the results. Blows your theory away.... You sound like a canidate for a test. Where are you from.

As for the auto makers. I don't know why they haven't picked it up. I have a feeling that Cummings may be the first. One of Intercharger Energy's biggest gripes during the CARB process was that CARB forced us to use a Cummings motor that didn't pass CARB. We felt it would give us a disadvantage in the test. However, with the Intercharger it passed the CARB test. Cummings took notice, I think it's because they have to pay a fine quarterly for each of the vehicles they have in CA that doesn't meet the standard.

So Dan, how many cases of snake oil would you like to try. I'm telling you, put your money where your mouth is. You run it for a month, report the results here and if it does what it says, you buy it..... and I think you should apologize here too (when it works of course)

As for how it works, It's a catalyst material that is inside. Creates an electro...... you can read this on the web site.
But, it basically breaks down the crankcase gases to a less gummy more combustible gas. The gas is not a super combuster, but it simply repels everything (metal, oil, other gases and it's self). When the gas enters into the combustion chamber, it's like spraying the air/fuel mix into a ball of steel wool, it spread out and then gives a more complete combustion. That's why you see more performance, increase of fuel econ and less NOX.

One other interesting report I've gotten. The DPF, I keep hearing the regeneration cycles are fewer and further between. That to me says that the exhaust is cleaner.

Waiting on you Dan

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Waiting on you Dan
Then you have a very long wait ahead of you. You may wish to fill the time by supplying factual evidence from independent, credible sources instead of confrontational challenges (a sure sign of a scam BTW) and vague, unsubstantiated promises.

-dan

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the crankcase gasses are causing this problem, wouldn't venting them to the atmosphere so that the gasses don't result in the steel wool effect as you say, result in the same 25% mpg gain? Yes it's illegal and releases fumes but that's the rationale of how you explained this device works. Since cars with PVC/CCV vented don't have this gain you can see why people are skeptical.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
If the crankcase gasses are causing this problem, wouldn't venting them to the atmosphere so that the gasses don't result in the steel wool effect as you say, result in the same 25% mpg gain? Yes it's illegal and releases fumes but that's the rationale of how you explained this device works. Since cars with PVC/CCV vented don't have this gain you can see why people are skeptical.
Good point. It was decided back in the 70's that we should not let the crankcase vent to open air. But the fumes that come from the crank case are heavy with oil and long chain Hydrocarbons. So they provide no advantage to the engine cycle. legally you must have a closed crank system if your a gas engine, but the diesels have just recently started closing their systems. I think that started in '08. The intercharger is part of a closed crank case venting system. The difference is, it has a catalyst that breaks down the long chain hydrocarbons to a more combustion friendly short chain hydrocarbon.

Think of it this way. Take a lighter to a block of wood.... it's hard to light (with out an accelerant) and burns slow. Not good for a split second release of energy. Now take wood chips and twigs... lights easier and burns faster.... what about paper... easier and faster yet... now what about tissue paper. As you brake down the wood and get more air to the surface the burn gets faster.

Same with hydrocarbons. Compare oil to diesel to gas. As you break it down the explosions (chemical energy release) gets faster. So what the Intercharger is basically doing is taking the blow by (crank case vented) gases and breaking them down into something more usable. sounds kind of simple, I know. The crank case gases are a bi product of the combustion. They are naturally long chain hydrocarbons. That is why a PCV system doesn't improve the efficacy of the engine. The IC changes the gases, so in a system that looks very similar, you have that one difference that makes all the difference.

Hey, where did Dan or Don go? He seems kind of quite now.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Then you have a very long wait ahead of you. You may wish to fill the time by supplying factual evidence from independent, credible sources instead of confrontational challenges (a sure sign of a scam BTW) and vague, unsubstantiated promises.

-dan
There you are Dan. Hey that 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen is a very impressive ride. Seriously. 52.4mpg, ouch. I would love to have that kind of mileage in a full size truck. At that fuel use level, I can understand why you shout at the sidelines and don't jump in for the fight. You wouldn't need the gains. After looking at the information about your engine you could probably get away with the smallest unit. The manufacture is saying that the unit you should use would cost $500.00 but I think the next size smaller, $300.00 unit would work just fine on your car. So, when your ready to put your money where your mouth is let me know. I'll stop by and throw one on for you. Then you won't have to take my word for it.

And I was being sincere about the Jetta. A bit small for my taste, but a nice looking car just the same. Are you getting 52.4mpg? That would be very nice on the wallet. I'd love to see half of that.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Not sure how someone can sound "quite," nor how something can be a "bi product" unless it has strange sexual preferences, so yes, I will remain quiet (look it up) until I see some independent verification of this nonsense.

"Wood chips and twigs" -- now there's what I call science. Oh yeah, while we're at it, the word is "break" -- as in give me one.

-dan (unsubscribed to avoid wasting more electrons)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts

-dan
Now CARB is not on my pay roll, I'll check the Intercharger Energy.....

I guess when you say independent, I'm not sure what you mean. Does that include EPA labs? Hmm.... that's where CARB came in. I don't think they would let just any snake oils into their list... only our special brand.

Believe it or not Dan, you can't be pleased. I'm not interested in selling you an Intercharger, I would just like to see the look on a jerks face when you see the results. I'm working with a client who has 3000 truck (2865 on the road). Why would I worry about selling you a $300.00 Intercharger.

Some folks just like to fight.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
This CARB document our "entrepreneur" keeps citing merely says the device will not harm the emission control system and is therefore not illegal to install. CARB does NOT endorse it nor do they test any of the claims it makes.

This is like bragging that you haven't yet been convicted of a crime.

It's also not illegal to throw $20 bills out the window while you drive, but the latter will probably do more to improve your mileage than this device -- and at a lower cost.

-dan

1 - 20 of 37 Posts