VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry I forgot that this forum can be international and Driver Side = LEFT facing forward, and Passenger Side = RIGHT

—2002 Jetta TDI Wagon—

okay long read...
(most likely) the left front driver side is making a whirring noise. the noise sounds exactly like when you're driving on the interstate and you transition from smooth pavement to rough pavement and that louder whirring tire noise happens. It sounds exactly like that but only when the wheels turn, at all, to the left. it's slightly worse but only just slightly when turned farther to the left.
-you can hear it best when the harmonic resonance is at its maximum between 50 and 70 miles an hour. it is less audible at higher speeds and not audible at all at slower speeds. also provides the car with very very fine fine vibrations.
-I recently replaced the outer tie rod end. this fixed the problem of the wheel making these noises when going straight -now it happens only when turning.
-I hear NO clicking noises when going in reverse or forward very slow. straight or turning the wheel to either side.
-when you grasping the wheel at the 12:00 and 6 positions, when jacked, and trying to rock it I get no play.
-I recently replaced all of the pads and rotors. and the rear passenger side bearing.
-while reattaching the caliper on front driver side the caliper bolts / slide pins / guide pins / 8 mm hex bolts whatever the fukk you call them...well the top hole was 90% stripped in stub axle assembly/wheel hub assembly/ steering knuckle/giant piece of rusty iron with holes for holding the caliper slide bolts/whatever the heck it's called...so I threw in some extra strength thread lock. When reattaching the bottom slide pin I started to torque it to 48 foot pounds as indicated in Chitty's guide. after several yanks realizing this was very wrong I looked it up and it's actually 21 foot pounds but I didn't try to undo it since the top hole was already stripped. I'm very afraid that the noise could be that the caliper is rattling because it is loose, but I don't want to take it off to find out since I'm not at home right now.
-when I drive over rough pavement, not washboard or potholes, but pavement that looks like dried out mud flats there is occasionally a metal rattly squeaky noise from the driver side front.
-however the noise does not change when I apply the brakes. nor does it change based being in gear out of gear or anything to do with engine RPMs.
-the car did hit a curb at an angle on the outside edge of the Passenger Side front rim going about 30 miles an hour. this caused the passenger side door to be slightly harder to close so it obviously moved some shit around.
-hard to tell but it seems like the noise goes away when the car bounces up after going over a bump. although it's hard to recreate the situation of turning left over a bump at 65 miles an hour.

so how far can I drive this car safely? can I tow a small U-Haul trailer 2200 miles? I'm guessing not.

TL;DR: Wheel Bearing? CV Axle Joint thingy? Caliper?
Anything I can do to help me diagnose it to save some time at some random mechanic here in NorCal?

thanks for reading!,
eli.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SOLVED

Passenger Side wheel bearings! :-(

now the question is how far can i drive on it....
the noise is not that bad and not audible until you get going really fast... I just assum that failure to the point of grinding would be pretty quick. especially if I'm pulling a trailer on though it would be exclusively highway driving.

also the rattling is definitely from the top caliper slide pin bolt not being able to be tightened all the way

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I had a similar noise, it went on for over a year before I replace the left front wheel bearing. The reason that it makes noise when you turn slightly to the left (I noticed the noise in my wife's car on one curve until it got bad) is because weight transfer on the curve unloads the bad bearing and gives it room to move (make noise).

As for longevity? My wife's car went over a year like that but you never know...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts