VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just completed my shopping experience for a new TDI (my 3rd) and would like to share something I found. On the VW website (and 3 different local dealer sites) you can "build" your dream car. I did this and found that the "Sport Styling Kit" (front spoiler + side skirts + twin exhaust tips) is offered online as a $1228 option to the Golf TDI. However, 2 different dealerships told me they are not available at all even if I ordered the car.

The first dealership (Hanson in Olympia, WA) said they could see about something aftermarket if I wanted a spoiler and side skirts and would run around $3500 for this :eek

The second dealership (Larson in Tacoma, WA) said the parts are simply not available even if I ordered the car... grrr, then why offer the parts online as part of the build? They didn't know. I really wanted to have the car with a couple minor options and have it dealer installed so it would be covered by the warranty.

Has anyone else have info on this or encountered the same issue? I noticed this was the case on both the Jetta SportWagen TDI that I was considering and on the Golf TDI that I bought.

All this aside, the new 10 Golf TDI is awesome; black 4 door, standard Porta 17" wheels, Xenon light option, and sunroof. I added in dealer installed window tint, paint and interior sealer, and extended the warranty to 100k miles. :thumbsup overall

·
Registered
135 Posts
See my post: "Shark Blue TDI with Votex Kit". How did you miss it?

I picked up my car from Campbell-Nelson in Edmonds, WA and they got me all taken care of. Pix included.

Your salesmen obviously are just IDIOTS and don't want to work with you.

It's going to cost you over $2K after it's all installed unless you have a really sharp tongue to negotiate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So your kit was installed at Cambell-Nelson or came on car from factory?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More fact finding on the "Votex" kit aka Sport Styling Kit:

- Sport Styling Kit on car ordered from factory = $1225 option
- Rear Hatch Spoiler on car ordered from factory = $380 option

- Parts ordered from dealership:
Front Valance $480
Side Skirts $646.84
Rear Hatch Spoiler $378.57
Stainless Exhaust Tips $99
Same cost as ordering it equipped on car from factory BUT if you order from dealership, parts are in primer and still must be installed. Cool then. The look can still be aquired. Big gratz to those with it from the factory :thumbsup

·
Registered
135 Posts
So your kit was installed at Campbell-Nelson or came on car from factory?
these are DEALER installed items. It may be possible at some point that they become Port installed, but I think not at this point. Apparently the parts can now be ordered pre-painted from the factory. Either way, the parts come from Germany, they are dropped on the next ship, they hit port then that port forwards to the dealer who ordered them. They are all available thru the parts department apparently though it should be coordinated by your (lazy) salesman.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the front valence and side skirts for $1240, painted and delivered to my house. It was an easy installation for me, but I've done one before.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4650019

Very nice Snorlax. I'll be hitting up the local parts department today about this. Any tips/tricks for putting these parts on?

We should be picking up the car today. Tinted, Lo-Jacked, and sealant applied to to paint and interior. Pics asap.
- A 20% tint was $399 which is lil steep compared to reputable tinting shops but the tint is covered by the vehicle warranty.
- Lo-Jack stays with the vehicle till it ends up in a junk yard a 2 or 3 decades from now. Fully transferable to future owners.
- The sealant plan covers the car for 7 years against oxidizing, water spots from hard water, and also the interior on spills from coffee, etc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very nice Snorlax. I'll be hitting up the local parts department today about this. Any tips/tricks for putting these parts on?
Before you start, cut the boxes up so the cardboard can lie flat. Place them on the floor/driveway so your painted parts won't get scratched.

Pre-fit each part carefully before gluing anything. That includes any screws at the ends of the parts. Most of the ones I've done (B5,B6 Passats and some MKVs) have fit perfectly but sometimes one needs a little pressure applied to it (like on the end of a rocker sill) so the screw holes line up correctly. You need to know this before any glue is applied. Oh, and you need to drill any holes or remove any existing screws before you start. Sometimes a fastener for the body kit will use the same hole as another fastener holding a wheel arch splash guard or sill trim. If your car came with a "Protection Kit" which includes mud flaps, remove them as they're not compatible with the votex kit.

Make sure you have the right tools. You may need a Torx socket or a short screwdriver to properly remove or apply a fastener where a tire is blocking you from using a long-shafted tool. If you have the right tool for the fastener but it is too long, you might be able to turn the front wheels out of the way. If you have a problem in the rear, use a 3/8 socket drive version of the tool, or remove the wheel. If you do that support the car with something other than the jack.

Don't try and use a small screwdriver on a Torx or Star fastener. Since you've already spent over $1k on the kit, get the right tools. You'll use them again at some point on the car. A decent set of Stanley brand Torx bits can be bought at Wal-Mart (as much as I dislike that place, it may be all that is available nearby for some).

Clean everything twice. They used to include some nasty Wurth cleaning solvent and the glue in the kits, but no more. Make sure the car is clean and use a prep-solvent (Griot's paint prep is awesome) or at least 70% rubbing alcohol to get any waxes and silicones off.

Get a helper. Especially with the front valence, extra hands to help hold the part in place as you work makes it a lot easier.

Start at one end and work toward the other after the glue is applied. You might need to pull the part (just a bit of pressure) from the starting point to the side that's the last to be glued. Have your helper hold the part, applying some pressure to the car, while you put the screws in place.

Don't try to do this sitting on the floor-lie down right next to the car so you can see what you are doing. When a part is in place, have your friend lie there applying pressure for a few minutes while you admire how awesome your car looks now.

If you notice glue oozing from the top of the part that's good. (Don't be stingy with the glue. Apply it to all the area that touches the car.) Use a throw-away rag to wipe it off, in the direction of the seam. Then do the same with a little solvent on a cloth. If you do it properly, it won't go anywhere. My B5 has a Votex front airdam, and after 11 years still has a death grip on the car. I've bashed it into parking lot logs a couple of times, and although the paint scratched, the part itself just shrugged it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
See my post: "Shark Blue TDI with Votex Kit". How did you miss it?

I picked up my car from Campbell-Nelson in Edmonds, WA and they got me all taken care of. Pix included.

Your salesmen obviously are just IDIOTS and don't want to work with you.

It's going to cost you over $2K after it's all installed unless you have a really sharp tongue to negotiate.
i ordered the "kit"...reason why i refer to it as a "kit", is my JSW got the front lip, skirts and rear bumper "spoiler". this is where the good stuff comes in...you would figure that being VW advertises as a "kit", everything that you would need to complete the "kit" is included...the day the dealer (Three County VW, Lyndhurst, NJ)"completed" the install, they mentioned to me after the fact, that an additional piece (votex part# 1KM071610U9AX, i believe http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sportwagen-TDI/Search/ES6984/ES6984/) was not included...so now i have the entire kit on the car, less the diffuser...now, i still plan to protest, but it has been over a month since i took delivery, so i might get asses out, but i just wanted to share this horror story, even though i am exstatic about my (golf wagon)JSW...also, since they owe me a master power window switch set (upon delivery, it looks like someone with a not-so-light touch, pushed the whole assembly down into the armrest, but not affecting the operation of any of the windows...i plan to cash in on this come my 1st "carefree" schedule, hoping the sales guy i dealt with remembers he owes me...

yea, my options (sport styling kit, side mouldings) came to about $2K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts