VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I get what you are trying to say "Canadamaxxer", but I think you are misunderstanding what this mod is about. This mod is about those of us that might be say, carrying heavy items out of a store with no hands free to open the hatch, but we have out keyes in our hand...as we approach the car we want to hold down the hatch button and with the modified struts the hatch swings open on its own so that I dont drop all my stuff. I'm not sure where you are looking in the manual, but nothing in my pile of "documents" I received from VW indicates that my USA intended hatch is supposed to open automatically stock. I recognize that I have changed parts to make my hatch behave differently from the factory intent because that's what I want. That's why we call it a "mod"ification and not a fix. And I'll take responsibility for the parts if they fail at some point because I wanted those parts installed. It is known that all struts do not perform the same at cold temperatures. Even the modified "auto" struts I have installed don't always open my hatch automatically, and I'm ok with that caveat. Like I said, I get what you are saying, and being that you are in Canada its possible that cars sold in your market are supposed to open automatically from the factory. But what we are talking about in this thread are cars sold in markets where the hatch was not designed to open automatically in the first place. Maybe this makes more sense to you, because I understand where you are coming from if the situation was as you described it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I get what you are trying to say "Canadamaxxer", but I think you are misunderstanding what this mod is about. This mod is about those of us that might be say, carrying heavy items out of a store with no hands free to open the hatch, but we have out keyes in our hand...as we approach the car we want to hold down the hatch button and with the modified struts the hatch swings open on its own so that I dont drop all my stuff. I'm not sure where you are looking in the manual, but nothing in my pile of "documents" I received from VW indicates that my USA intended hatch is supposed to open automatically stock. I recognize that I have changed parts to make my hatch behave differently from the factory intent because that's what I want. That's why we call it a "mod"ification and not a fix. And I'll take responsibility for the parts if they fail at some point because I wanted those parts installed. It is known that all struts do not perform the same at cold temperatures. Even the modified "auto" struts I have installed don't always open my hatch automatically, and I'm ok with that caveat. Like I said, I get what you are saying, and being that you are in Canada its possible that cars sold in your market are supposed to open automatically from the factory. But what we are talking about in this thread are cars sold in markets where the hatch was not designed to open automatically in the first place. Maybe this makes more sense to you, because I understand where you are coming from if the situation was as you described it.
You make a good point. I simply assumed that all of the owner's manuals were the same and had the same information on the hatch opening automatically. Your point about the packages is EXACTLY why I take issue with the function of the hatch as it is now. This is literally the first vehicle I've played with in the last 19 years as an automotive mechanic at dealerships all over BC and Alberta that does NOT open automatically....and it is really annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used this thread as a starting point to figure out how to get the hatch on my Sportwagen to function as I figure it should have from the factory. I ordered a set of Enhanced Hatch Struts from ECS Tuning and installed them last night. They work perfectly. My only concern was that there was a possibility that operation of the driver door trunk release switch while driving may allow the hatch to Pop open at speed. Parking lot testing confirmed otherwise. The switch is locked out while driving, in gear and with the central locking disengaged.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts