VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a simple thing right? I'm no noob, but this one baffles me... On every vehicle I've ever owned (or driven....as a GM mechanic for 17 years) with keyless entry and a trunk or a rear hatch, pressing the hatch release button actually releases the hatch. My new Golf Sportwagon will release the hatch for a second or two, then I hear the cycling of a solenoid, and then I have to use the hand release on the hatch in order to lift the tailgate. If get there a bit sooner (like press the button on the remote and immediately open the end gate), I can lift anywhere on the gate and it will open.

I spoke to my dealer and they called it a safety feature. To me it sounds like BS. I can do the same thing as using the hatch button on the fob by using the door unlock button and the release on the hatch itself. They could have eliminated one button on the remote and still accomplished the same goal.

Maybe I'm missing something about VW's philosophy....

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do anyone have an idea what the actual rational behind why this is set up this way?

To be clear: The button on the remote is not the only way to duplicate this concern....the power hatch release on the driver's door behaves the same way...I can't release the hatch from inside the car, get out and make it to the hatch in time to be able to lift the end gate without having to re-release the hatch using the rear handle. I physically can't get out and get back there soon enough. This seems completely counter-intuitive to me....

I can see what the modifications do, but fail to understand why I would have to modify a car with less than 1500km's on it. This seems like something VW needs to be more clear about....or fix as a recall. It probably doesn't help that a condesending service writer tried to look down his nose at me when I brought up my concern. I've worked at enough dealerships to know how truly little service writers know and I really dislike when someone assumes I'm asking a "stupid" question....especially someone that I know doesn't have the education or experience that I do.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading my manual more thoroughly again, I found a passage that may explain what's happening....but sure makes that service advisor like an ass....

"at temperatures below +32F (0 C), the rear hatch may not open automatically after unlocking it. It will be neccesary to lift it by hand"

The weather is cold here (currently -15c, and as low as -35c (-67c with the wind chill)) so that could explain the struts not having the charge pressure to lift the hatch. I guess I'll warm the car up in the garage and see what happens. I kind of feel like feeding my owner's manual to this advisor.....

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I bought my golf in the summer and can attest that in all temp conditions the struts are not powerful enough to open the hatch from the closed position without a little bit of help. It looks like the only way to accomplish this is with the modified strut installation. BTW I am in agreement that if they're going to put a hatch release button on the remote, it should do more than unlock it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Even in warmer temps, pressing the hatch open button won't do anything but "pop" it unlocked momentarily. The only time I find this helpful is if for some reason the car is locked, and I want it to stay locked except I want to access the trunk. Popping the hatch with the button will let me do that without unlocking the car. That's the only function I can come up with, otherwise it's a pretty stupid button. Something like this I usually chalk up to Germans adding features, complication, and technology simply because it's their lot in life to over-complicate things. :)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I must admit I like the hatch button. The benefit I see in the button is that if I leave the doors locked and unlock the hatch using the button, the hatch will lock when shut.

I know it's just a simple little gadget, but it's pretty nice when I'm out shopping with the wife and we want to put some stuff in the car in-between stores.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
...To be clear: The button on the remote is not the only way to duplicate this concern....the power hatch release on the driver's door behaves the same way...I can't release the hatch from inside the car, get out and make it to the hatch in time to be able to lift the end gate without having to re-release the hatch using the rear handle. I physically can't get out and get back there soon enough. This seems completely counter-intuitive to me...
It is, absolutely, a PITA having to unlock the doors every time you want to open the hatch (without the fob). I have yet to find the "power hatch release on the driver's door" that people are referring to, so I've been using the "unlock" button on the driver's door. If you know where the "hatch release" button is, please feel free to share.

I was in the coding for the first time today on my U.S. Golf TDI 2dr 6sp. The only two things that I really wanted to accomplish were 1) eliminating the seat belt alarm and 2) changing the unlock function to unlock everything with one press of the fob button. I did achieve the first, but never was able to locate the second. However, while cruising around in the code, I did manage to permanently-stop the hatch from re-locking itself when the doors are unlocked. Now, if the doors are locked and you unlock the hatch with the fob, open it, and then close it again, it still locks itself like it should...but if the doors are unlocked, you can open and close the hatch all day long without it locking! I had been afraid that the hatch lock was something that I would have to live with. Now...those pesky "two-push" door locks...:bangshead

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
There should be an option in the MFD so that you don't have to use VCDS. This only applies to TDI because the gassers had the lowline instrument clusters which didn't do it. They would have to use VCDS. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/multifunction-display-VW.htm Isn't there something under door open in these menus?

If not, here is a screenshot from a 2010 golf tdi, cecm long coding, bit 3

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
No, you're correct...it's in the MFD after all, which probably explains why I couldn't find it in the coding. Right after I posted that, I went over to Fred's site and saw a thread there that said it's in the MFD under "Convenience"/"Doors Open"(IIRC)/"Manual". I checked it out immediately. Now everything opens with one push of the fob button, and the hatch remains unlocked whenever the doors are unlocked...:thumbsup

My byte 0 originally looked just like your example. I then checked bit 1 and unchecked bit 3. Later when I made the change in the MFD (to "open all"), everything worked perfectly. I wonder...when I go to kill my "auto lock at 10 mph", will I have to uncheck bit 2 as part/all of the change, or will I find it in an Adaptation pull-down instead, or even in the MFD again?

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
The only time I find this helpful is if for some reason the car is locked, and I want it to stay locked except I want to access the trunk. Popping the hatch with the button will let me do that without unlocking the car.
Ah yes, now that does make some sense. I wondered what good the button was to have, but this makes some sense now. I think it might be a good way to lock your keys in the car so I won't use it, but at least now I can understand a reasonable purpose for the button on my fob.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
My settup is now functionally almost the same: I push the fob button once (unlock doors/hatch), open the hatch, throw the stuff in, and close the hatch. I do have the added step of having to push the "lock doors/hatch" button, though. I consider this a more-than-fair trade for all of the times that I won't be fighting with the damn self-locking hatch...:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Rabbit vs golf comparison...

Here's my observation comparing US rabbit '08 vs US Golf '11 DEFAULT settings:

Rabbit: lower driver side door panel had 2 dedicated levers: one for hatch release UNLOCK and one for fuel door RELEASE. Hold key fob trunk tab for 2 seconds, OR double click fob door unlock tab, and that UNLOCKS hatch release. Whenever I used the hatch logo, it activated an electronic(?) 'catch release,' I'll call it, and doubled as the handle to lift the hatch open.

Golf: dedicated switches are NO MORE (another symptom of parts reduction 'programme'); front door unlock switch UNLOCKS hatch release. If I then go to hatch and. Lift the logo, the catch release actvates, and you lift open the hatch with the logo handle. Key fob works similar to rabbit, but if I depress trunk tab for 2 seconds, the electronic catch release activates. The hatch logo then just serves as a lift handle. As for fuel door, open by pressing in door from exterior (but you know that. So much for fuel supply security :dunno. )

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
So, if I hold down the "hatch release" button on the fob, both catches will release? If so, way cool! Then I could do the mod shown in keithuk's video. I have to wonder, though...that mod seems to be a combination of increased leverage and brute force that will increase the load on those poor little spherical joints. Are they long-term up to the added stress? Also, are those different struts a European part number? And, if so, where do you get them?

Update:

I just went out and checked my fob/hatch operation. On my '11 U.S. Golf, the lift handle is required to release the second "safety" latch, no matter what I do with the fob button...

I'm going to have to go back into the code and try to figure out whether I missed a setting (likely) or not. I have to go back in anyway to kill the "doors lock at 10mph".

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
My settup is now functionally almost the same: I push the fob button once (unlock doors/hatch), open the hatch, throw the stuff in, and close the hatch. I do have the added step of having to push the "lock doors/hatch" button, though. I consider this a more-than-fair trade for all of the times that I won't be fighting with the damn self-locking hatch...:thumbsup
I missed the simpler way to open the hatch while leaving the doors locked: push the hatch button on the fob (duh!). I then open the hatch...and when I close it, it locks itself again as normal.

I am still trying to find a way to completely release the hatch (both the latch and the catch) solely by pushing or holding the hatch button on the fob. Right now, it will not do this. If it would, I'd go ahead and perform keithuk's hatch strut mod. The U.K. cars must be wired differently or something, because I can't find anything in coding or adaptation that will allow me to do what he did...

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I'd go ahead and perform keithuk's hatch strut mod. The U.K. cars must be wired differently or something, because I can't find anything in coding or adaptation that will allow me to do what he did...
There is no coding needed to have the automatic opening hatches. You just replace the struts and turn the pins around.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
1analguy, yes...the original opening of this thread inspired me to do this mod...I have a '10 Golf and purchased the struts, flipped the anchors and it worked just like the video. I'm not sure how you're determining that the second catch does not release on your car, but try this: lock the car with the keyfob, then hold down the hatch release button while trying to pry the hatch open with your fingers from the side, or by grabbing the rear windshield wiper arm (don't break it!). It should open. If you can't get a good grip, secure a string securely to a box or other object...put the object inside the trunk and let the string hang out the back of the car (avoid the middle where the catches are!) so that you can grab the string when the hatch is closed. Close hatch and see if you can pull the hatch open with the string by pulling the box up against the inside of the hatch while you hold that hatch release button down. If it opens all you need is the struts...the mod literally takes less than 10 minutes start to finish. You just need a small screwdriver and the right sized allen wrench. Also beware!! You must be prepared to lift the full weight of the hatch while changing the struts, because once either of the struts are removed, the other strut cannot support the weight of the hatch...even one of the new struts will not support the full weight of the hatch on its own. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
You shouldn't have to pull on anything with the auto open hatch. Press the remote once to release the catch then press it again to release the second latch and it should lift on its own.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Keith, to clarify, I'm telling him how to assure himself the mod will work before he does it. He hasn't changed anything yet and he thinks that his trunk is only unlocking and not completely releasing. By doing what I have suggested he can verify everything is working properly beforehand...also my golf will not release my auto hatch by pressing twice, I have to hold it down and it releases within abt 2 seconds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts