VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new Canadian member on this forum (an Audi A6 2.7T owner too that frequents Audiworld) and we are looking at replacing my wife's 1998 V70 GLT.

My wife and I took a 2011 Golf GSW TDI out for a spin last week. We liked it.

But in "Highline" trim, the Panoramic Sunroof is going to be a deal killer (esp. for my wife) - it will be her daily driver. To a lesser extent, being dictated that Black Leather is all you can get sucks too. Cloth and two dogs don't mix that well - we want leather.

I sent a short message to VW Canada that said:
We test drove a Golf Wagon TDI (DSG) recently. Great car. But is there anyway to "delete" the Panoramic Sunroof and still get a leather interior and not black (Highline trim)?

The US equivalent car, the Jetta SportWagen TDI can be ordered with Corn Silk Beige Leather and with no Panoramic sunroof - this flexibility is excellent.

Can custom ordering be done from Canada or is the only alternative importing from the US ourselves?
The response was:
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 1:47 PM
Subject: RE: Volkswagen Canada - Prospect

Dear Mr. Haller,

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care with your inquiry regarding custom purchasing. At this time I apologize for any and all inconveniences at this time.

Volkswagen Canada recommends sitting down with one of your surrounding Volkswagen Dealerships for any sales/negotiations and custom ordering. I apologize I could not provide you with a more favorable response at this time.

Once again thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care, should you have any further questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us via our website at www.Vw.ca or via phone at 1.800.DRIVE.VW.

Sincerely,

XXXX YYYYYYY
Volkswagen Canada Customer Care
Has anyone tried "custom ordering" in Canada? All I have read on this forum is that "custom" ordering is not possible.

/dan

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Not possible.

From what I understand, no cars in North America are truly custom ordered, they are allocated to buyers who requested those specific options. In other words, the factory decides to build a certain number of cars and if your order matches one your order is attached to that build. But I could be wrong on this as I haven't found a firm answer one way or the other, this is just what I've read about the production process.

It doesn't make any sense though because they are built in Mexico alongside true custom order cars destined for Europe. In other words, the Europe spec cars are built in response to demand and there are so many options possible that it's not possible to produce them like that. If you order a special color or option you can get it exactly how you want it. Of course, they also pay a lot more for the convenience and options even before VAT.

My suggestion is to buy a car how you want it and add a Katzskins leather interior yourself. Any upholstery shop can do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am new Canadian member on this forum (an Audi A6 2.7T owner too that frequents Audiworld) and we are looking at replacing my wife's 1998 V70 GLT.

My wife and I took a 2011 Golf GSW TDI out for a spin last week. We liked it.

But in "Highline" trim, the Panoramic Sunroof is going to be a deal killer (esp. for my wife) - it will be her daily driver. To a lesser extent, being dictated that Black Leather is all you can get sucks too. Cloth and two dogs don't mix that well - we want leather.

I sent a short message to VW Canada that said:
We test drove a Golf Wagon TDI (DSG) recently. Great car. But is there anyway to "delete" the Panoramic Sunroof and still get a leather interior and not black (Highline trim)?

The US equivalent car, the Jetta SportWagen TDI can be ordered with Corn Silk Beige Leather and with no Panoramic sunroof - this flexibility is excellent.

Can custom ordering be done from Canada or is the only alternative importing from the US ourselves?
The response was:
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 1:47 PM
Subject: RE: Volkswagen Canada - Prospect

Dear Mr. Haller,

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care with your inquiry regarding custom purchasing. At this time I apologize for any and all inconveniences at this time.

Volkswagen Canada recommends sitting down with one of your surrounding Volkswagen Dealerships for any sales/negotiations and custom ordering. I apologize I could not provide you with a more favorable response at this time.

Once again thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada Customer Care, should you have any further questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us via our website at www.Vw.ca or via phone at 1.800.DRIVE.VW.

Sincerely,

XXXX YYYYYYY
Volkswagen Canada Customer Care
Has anyone tried "custom ordering" in Canada? All I have read on this forum is that "custom" ordering is not possible.

/dan
I did a custom order 15 months ago and picked it up 12 months ago. (Actually to the day today.)
I didn't want the Highline. I wanted the Comfortline with manual, panoramic sunroof and in blue.
Naturally no dealer stocked that and for some reason they don't transfer between provinces.
So the only option was to order it.
That is where we run into a problem compared to the US, as you noticed.
Whatever options you can select on vw.ca is all you can do when you go to the dealer.
I'm not happy with it but not much we can do about that.
The only option you have is to go through an Auto Importer like LL Auto. There is another one in the Vancouver, BC area, but I can't think of their name right now.
I found this link doing a quick search www.importcartocanada.info/category/faq/
As far as I know the car doesn't get built until your order is in the system. So the dealer told me when I was waiting for mine.
For close to three months.
I like my cornsilk cloth and the panoramic sunroof. Especially in the summer. When it is parked in the sun all day I close the screen and tilt the roof up. So nice to come back to a cool car with cloth seats and AC. ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts