VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like someones input on how to repair a break in my exhaust system. I have a 2003 Golf TDI and the pipe broke at the catalytic weld. The converter is in very good shape and the pipe to the muffler in in pretty good shape as well. I thought a flaired pipe welded to the catalytic converter and a ID/OD coupling to sleeve the exhaust pipe with the two pieces welded at their butted ends would be fine.

I just did a turbo replacement and it went quite well. I thought the shim style exhaust manifold gasket a bit cheezy but everything pulled up tight and w/ liberal use of p-tex I think I'll be OK.

Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Either sleeve it or use an exhaust repair kit. I've used the kit from autozone where you have a strip of thin metal, wrap it around the hole, and use epoxy soaked fiber to wrap it. It's not pretty but it works. Any exhaust shop should also be able to repair it.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
You could use a slightly narrower piece of pipe inside then weld round the outside for a strong fix and if you're not into heavily modding then it shouldn't really affect the flow of gases.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts