VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Euro switch on the project 2006 VW Jetta TDI. The procedure is identical on all late 2005 (2005.5)-2006, 2006.5 Special edition or diesel edition Jetta TDI.

It should also work on any 2006-2009 VW Jetta, Golf, Rabbit, GTI, GLI, etc.

I found out that I had to disable the DRL for the parking light position to work. Other writeups mentioned that the DRL override the parking lights but they didn't mention that the parking light switch position did nothing. I thought they meant that the DRLs would turn on in addition to the parking lights.

demo pics and procedure in the writeup
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/euroswitch-vw-jetta-drl-function.htm

parking lights are these:

After finding this out, I am thinking of finding a US spec GTI or GLI headlight switch so that I can run the fogs as DRL at all times and still turn the fogs on/off when the headlights. I prefer having DRL over the ability to control the parking lights because it makes the car more visible during the daytime. The parking lights are so dim during the day that they are effectively useless except at night.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added an animated gif to the writeup to help explain things. I don't have rear fogs so you'll have to use your imagination.

Also, the picture was taken right after I turned the light on so it was still warming up. It takes a few seconds to warm up from light blue to white.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts