VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the article for the Jetta TDI, is there any expected date for the release of the rabbit TDI?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not that I am aware of. The jetta is a better seller than the golf/rabbit, so don't expect to see the rabbit until after the jetta is released, which won't be until later this year....probably. It would be nice to have a smaller variant on the jetta though. I never liked the chrome bumper because it'll look like crap after a few parking scrapes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, so when is the Jetta TDI definitely coming out? How long after the Jetta release is the Rabbit? The last generation I know the new beetle was out for 2 years before the Jetta and Golf came out.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The new beetle might not even have a next gen.

The current issue is that the current rabbit has been on sale in Europe for years before it came here. They probably want to wait for the next gen rabbit/golf to come out there before it comes out here. That's probably 1 year for the new rabbit, then 1 year for it to come out here. Assuming maximum speed, add another 1/2 year for glitches and that's about 2.5 years. The main priority is the jetta over the rabbit or passat or new beetle since it's the best seller.

D

·
0 Posts
Beating a dead horse here, but be prepared to wait. The Jetta was supposed to be here by now and it's probably not going to get here until the fall. The Acura TSX will be here by next year but the i-dtec won't be here for another year. VW should beat them to market by quite a bit, but there's real competition if the i-dtec proves to be a good car. Too bad the TSX is an ugly car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the TSX is horrible, but I like the look of the rabbit more. The TSX will be redesigned next year anyways if you don't like the look. The issue is that if they can keep the price low I'll look into it. If the price goes up plus a diesel premium, then it might be too much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Jetta is confirmed for June. It was originally coming in March but this article says that 1000 Jettas will get here in June. I'll bet that the dealers will play the "short demand" card to rip off the first buyers though.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/02/07/chicago-2008-vw-jetta-cleantdi-to-start-hitting-dealers-in-june/

The long wait for the new fifty-state legal VW Jetta CleanTDI is almost over. After a delay from the original March launch date to finish certification, the first batch of 1,000 diesel Jettas will arrive at dealers in the US and Canada in June. You won't be able to actually buy one at that point because each dealer will only get one car. The cars will be used as demonstrators for test drives through the summer to re-introduce potential buyers to the new powertrain. In late August, VW will start shipping cars to dealers in earnest for sale to any and all. No pricing yet but VW has previously indicated that the diesel would run about $2,000 extra just like the previous-generation model.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Luckily the overall price should be about 22-24,000 US dollars from what I read. Strange that they can't do the rabbit TDI at the same time, someone was asking about it.

D

·
0 Posts
It takes manpower, engineering brainpower, and money to push these things through. The jetta outsells the golf 10-1, so they are putting their resources where it'll pay off first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts