VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, and a happy new years to TDI'ers:

I have had a problem with my car now for about 2 months, and I really have to get it running properly. First; I bought the car from a VW dealer. It's a 03 Golf TDI with 120K miles, 5 speed. Car suffered from low power and my friend at the garage told me the VNT was not functioning. I also noticed that it would momentarily shake as if it were missing on one cylinder at startup on some mornings. This sent up alarm bells, but I filed it in the back of my head. As part of my normal procedures after buying a used car, I changed the oil and filter. No problems, car ran fine. I then let it get low on fuel, but not out of fuel, and it would not start in the morning. Replaced the fuel filter, bled the system, and cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, but now the engine shakes violently and continuously at idle, as if it were not firing in one cylinder. Accelerating the engine makes the shaking go away, but it has a loud tapping noise, and the shaking is there when it returns to idle. I also checked the timing belt and it is the newer type with the diagonal lines on it. There is no apparent wear and nothing seems to have shifted out of place. I have read the various posts regarding cam lobe wear, and am wondering if that could be the issue. Is there a "how to" written up on this issue? and if someone has had the same problem, can they clue me in as to what the problem might be. Thanks so much.

Harry

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Something else to check is all vacuum lines. These control the VNT and antishudder valve (thing like the throttle) and EGR.

How would they know the VNT was not functioning? If so, it could be the solenoid, vac lines, vnt actuator, or turbo. If you want to dig deep you have to get a ross tech VCDS to datalog the sensors and see what they are saying. The simpler solution is to get a code scanner and see what codes you have.

Cam lobe wear was a bigger problem on the 2004+ enignes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue. It's in getting diagnosed now, doesn't look good. May be cam wear or other oil related issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you checked for any codes?
I am getting a code on cylinder 2, misfire. No CEL. I expect to hear from the shop today, but they called me yesterday asking what oil I had been using and how often changes occurred. I expect them to follow up with the cam/lifters are smoked.

This has been ongoing for months now and we've ruled out the cheap stuff (cleaning intake/egr/fuel delivery etc).

I had an issue with the lift pump dying on me. And when they replaced the fuel filter it was full of water. I don't know if this contributed to the issue, but the hesitation bucking has progressively gotten worse. This weekend past it went from hesitation to violent shaking. Unbelievably the car still drove!

I limped it home, then the next morning it started up like nothing happened. I limped it to the shop and that's where it sits now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The car has finally thrown a code. It seems the injector in cylinder #2 is experiencing some sort of mechanical problem. I'll post details when I get it, but it's going to be an expensive fix.

Does anyone here have an online dealer of BEW injectors?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Water is a no-no.
There is info here on the cam wear issue also, perhaps worth a read and be there, if possible, when they have a look.
:panic:You've sure been dragged around with these problems lately!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Water is a no-no.
There is info here on the cam wear issue also, perhaps worth a read and be there, if possible, when they have a look.
:panic:You've sure been dragged around with these problems lately!
It's all the same issue.... and they examined the cam lobes, they are fine, they will take a very close look at the bearings when the injector comes in.

I am not one of those owners that blames every single problem on poor designs, I am sure the engineers were trying to get around a problem when they designed my car. I do, however, hate being charged 800 bucks for an injector.

I am currently chasing the glow plug recall issue. I believe my car had this recall.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
It's all the same issue.... and they examined the cam lobes, they are fine, they will take a very close look at the bearings when the injector comes in.

I am not one of those owners that blames every single problem on poor designs, I am sure the engineers were trying to get around a problem when they designed my car. I do, however, hate being charged 800 bucks for an injector.

I am currently chasing the glow plug recall issue. I believe my car had this recall.
I had a look around, wasn't able to find another source for injectors, but maybe someone else has had this problem....800 clams sucks just a bit.
Clearly there is a some form of design issue with the PD camshaft, far too many fail early and while I agree that "poopy" things can happen, there is no excuse for VW failing to support THEIR engineering error.
You have somewhere around 350,000 kilometers on this engine, don't you??

Now, that would make me a pretty happy customer, too!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a look around, wasn't able to find another source for injectors, but maybe someone else has had this problem....800 clams sucks just a bit.
Clearly there is a some form of design issue with the PD camshaft, far too many fail early and while I agree that "poopy" things can happen, there is no excuse for VW failing to support THEIR engineering error.
You have somewhere around 350,000 kilometers on this engine, don't you??

Now, that would make me a pretty happy customer, too!!
I have 360 000km

Just to clarify, It does NOT seem to be a cam shaft issue, it seems to be a mechanical failure in the injector. They will be inspecting the cam bearings when they install the injector and let me know the state. They said they HAVE done quite a few PDs with cam wear and mine does not look like it's suffering. I used the proper oil and changed it at decent intervals considering my style of driving.

I did find the injectors at world impex for 455 + 100 core charge. I also found a guy near me that did the PD150 upgrade and has 3 good injectors left over. If I experience another failure, it might be a bit cheaper next time.

The design issue with the cam is that it has to do a lot of work (extra lobe for the injector). It's not getting oiled quite as good as it should and therefore wears out. Aftermarket Cam replacement kits seem to include specially cut cam bearings (check tdiclub franko6's posts). This will aid in the oiling of the cam. His reman heads have stuff in them to aid in the oiling of the cam.

I seriously doubt I'd go as far as replacing the head on this car, but who knows. We'll see I guess.

Mik

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it took me long enough to find the reason why the engine was shaking and tapping so loudly: A broken lifter. When I popped the valve cover off, the first thing I noticed was a thin bent wire near one of the drain holes. I plucked that out, and looked at one of the #2 cylinder lifters, and it was completely broken, with part of the top to the side of the bore. Ther is damage to one other lifter, as evidenced by wear marks on the camshaft lobe.

Although most of the posts I have read seem to regard this as previous damage from piston to valve contact, the engine timing is spot on. My options are to just replace the cam and lifters, or to lift the head and check for damage underneath.

Right now I'm in the process of removing the engine mount which will allow me to undo the timing belt, and eventually to lift the cam. BTW, does this engine have cam bearings that need to be replaced? Pray for me....... my two cents

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Good catch! I think you made another post about this, no cam bearings. If worn you have to have a machine shop machine the head and make you bearings or get a rebuilt head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts