VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TO:Moderators- and fellow gear-heads..thanks for allowing me your time...I will probably have to pull the TDI engine from my G-Friends Beetle,-( as it is needs a reinforcing brkt. on the engine) -Or a casting boss- repaired..? I have'nt actually pulled-> inner fender well>?- or any access. to get a def. look- but the main engine support bracket seems to be trashed-..W/ bolts broken out of block ,etc. Is there _only_ two.? that secure the lower "main" bracket to the block.? Does the eng. and trans. drop out of the bottom- easier- ? lol- Or from the top.. Hey- there are no Stupid Quest. -Right..? I also want advice as to the best shop manual, I have read that Bentl.is "not that swell"..OK- Thanks -JB -:cool:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Get the Bentley, it's the factory manual and there's no similar manual. Make sure that you don't buy a used CD as it can only be unlocked under certain conditions.

I saved this pic but I don't remember the original taker but it should give you some ideas:

I'm not a beetle guy so I don't know if there's clearance to pull it out the top. You might be able to remove the front bumper and remove it that way, not sure if an engine drop out the bottom is easier in the NB.

If you're pulling the engine just to repair a mount hole, there is a fix that doesn't require an engine pull see this:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=468

At last, the fix for broken TDI, 1.8T, and 2.0 Transversely mounted engine blocks (Golf, Jetta, GTI, New Beetle, Audi TT, etc.). This hefty Billet 6061-T6 Aluminum bracket bolts on to the back passenger corner of the engine block after the stock cast iron mounting hole for the engine mount breaks off. This bracket makes this part of the engine mounting system stronger than stock. Kit comes with all necessary hardware. You may want to clean out the 7mm x 1.0 and 8mm x 1.25 threaded holes in the engine block before mounting this fix due to rust being present in these threads. This kit will save you time and worry that your angle iron fix will hold the torque!

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Get the Bentley manual. The engine CAN come out the top but you have to remove the hood and transmission.

I would drop it out the bottom as engine/trans one piece or you can take off the lock carrier, which is sort of pictured above in a Jetta. All newer VW/Audi have a lock carrier which holds the radiator, bumper, and other stuff that is blocking the engine. On some Audi, you even have to remove the lock carrier to do the timing belt.

Check out newbeetle, these pics are from there.

If I were you, I'd figure out if the Van Gogh fix linked above solves your problem. If you need to pull the engine, removing the fenders and lock carrier is easier in the long run. Just try to avoid disconnecting the AC, just loop it off to the side. Obviously disconnect the mounts and axles and wires. VW uses a bunch of triple square bolts on the axles, don't try to use a torx cause itll strip. It'll be faster than removing the subframe and dropping the engine but I don't know what kind of shop you are using.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys..

TO:Moderators- and fellow gear-heads..thanks for allowing me your time...I will probably have to pull the TDI engine from my G-Friends Beetle,-( as it is needs a reinforcing brkt. on the engine) -Or a casting boss- repaired..? I have'nt actually pulled-> inner fender well>?- or any access. to get a def. look- but the main engine support bracket seems to be trashed-..W/ bolts broken out of block ,etc. Is there _only_ two.? that secure the lower "main" bracket to the block.? Does the eng. and trans. drop out of the bottom- easier- ? lol- Or from the top.. Hey- there are no Stupid Quest. -Right..? I also want advice as to the best shop manual, I have read that Bentl.is "not that swell"..OK- Thanks -JB -:cool:
Really Appreciate your quick replies to my post..and the advice -"priceless"- I am not in _super big hurry on this repair.. but will take some pics as I get into the job.. and will fill you in on progress..will have to figure out how much to charge my gal for this one- she said I'll pay- so thats an incentive to get w/ it..lol-. Until next time,Again- much thanks- .... J.B.
p.s. This site is _Super_:)

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
The steering rack is still there on the front subframe. The engine is supported by 3 mounts. The only thing I see that was removed was the front carrier the rest comes out with it. Mods, please delete the pic posted, the host changed the URL.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The steering rack is still there on the front subframe. The engine is supported by 3 mounts. The only thing I see that was removed was the front carrier the rest comes out with it. Mods, please delete the pic posted, the host changed the URL.
Edited. And the rad support has to come out too.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Wow, sounds like whoever worked on the car before really did a job on it..a bad job...

The bently doesn't have some small details but all the important steps and diagrams are there. Make sure to get the book instead of the CD or online access because they suck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts