VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum need help setting timing on 2005 vw passat timing belt broken engine out of time. Is engine a non interference motor or is valve damage possible?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Valve damage is guaranteed if it's too far out of time. Can the engine turn over by hand?

If so, set it to TDC and see if the TDC marks are in place. Maybe it only spilled 1 notch. If it's jammed you know you need a replacement head. You could also take off the camshaft. See the FAQ article on camshaft inspections. Remove all the lifters and inspect them for marks and spin the valves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Valve damage is guaranteed if it's too far out of time. Can the engine turn over by hand?

If so, set it to TDC and see if the TDC marks are in place. Maybe it only spilled 1 notch. If it's jammed you know you need a replacement head. You could also take off the camshaft. See the FAQ article on camshaft inspections. Remove all the lifters and inspect them for marks and spin the valves.
Our engine will turn over, the belt was not completely broken but how do I be sure it is in time? How do I set it to TDC and what/where are TDC marks??

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Our engine will turn over, the belt was not completely broken but how do I be sure it is in time? How do I set it to TDC and what/where are TDC marks??
Your last post was about a broken chain. Did you mean broken oil chain or broken timing belt?

How was the timing belt not completely broken? If it went out of time while the engine was running you need to remove the head and repair it. The TDC marks are all described in the B5 FAQ in the DIY section at the top, please read it carefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts